How much difference is 6" going to make?

M

mgh-pa

Alright, I think I have my rod/reel picked out. I'm going with a Cabela's Three Forks with the Ross FlyStart reel (I'm assuming this is a step up from the Prestige Plus). I'm thinking 8ft6 5wt. I will fish on average smaller streams mostly (never bigger than the Loyalsock 95% of the time). Some will be fairly tight quarters, so length is an issue, but I don't want it so short that it becomes unusable on the larger waters. Should I be looking at 8' the 8'6" or 9'? How much difference does the 6" variance make? Thanks.

I use to always prefer a 8'6" rod, but the more I fish and for my style of fishing I now like the 9'. However, if I know I am going to be fishing mostly dries, I like anything from 7.5 - 9, but most of the time go with one of my 8'6" rods.

It's not a huge difference between the 2. I have fishing many of the creeks around that area: sock and lycoming, and either length with do.

I'll second Mkern.

mgh-pa, It's not the size of your rod but how you use it! Sorry, couldn't resist.

Lol Bushwacker, I knew someone would come along with that comment.

For all around use, an 8'5' rod is hard to beat.
I have a 9' 5wght, but only use it on the largest streams

Ok, I see these rods are a moderate action in 8' 5wt, and I want a moderate-fast or fast action, so I suppose it's down to the 8'6 or 9'.

I was going to hint at the size thing in my original post, but didn't

I personally don't think a 6 in difference in rod is a big deal, but ask bob's wife (enzyte commercials) what she thinks...

Its all a matter of what you feel comfortable using. You can go shorter and still throw productive presentations on larger size water. You can go longer and be okay on the smaller waters, you just may have to resort to more roll casts on thinner water; but isn't learning how to work all types of water whats its all about. Shorter, longer, whatever feels right, will present well.

When asked this question I say I recommend a 9' rod unless the streams you will be fishing dictate otherwise. For streams like the 'sock and Lycoming Creeks a 9' rod is fine. If you're going to fish streams like Pleasant Stream or some of the smaller tribs to the 'sock you may find an 8' rod more appropriate to the conditions you encounter. When casting room gets tighter 6" can be a lot. Unfortunately, this isn't a "one rod fits all" game. You can fish bigger water with a shorter rod but you may find it a real problem to fish small water with a longer rod. Good casting skills can play a big part in this equation, too.

On the other hand, you can make a rod shorter by choking up when necessary, but it isn't really possible to make it longer by "choking down." :-o

OldLefty wrote:
When asked this question I say I recommend a 9' rod unless the streams you will be fishing dictate otherwise. For streams like the 'sock and Lycoming Creeks a 9' rod is fine. If you're going to fish streams like Pleasant Stream or some of the smaller tribs to the 'sock you may find an 8' rod more appropriate to the conditions you encounter. When casting room gets tighter 6" can be a lot. Unfortunately, this isn't a "one rod fits all" game. You can fish bigger water with a shorter rod but you may find it a real problem to fish small water with a longer rod. Good casting skills can play a big part in this equation, too.

Well I will be fishing Lycoming and the Loyalsock, but also Pleasant, Hogland's, Little Bear, etc. I think an 8' might be the better option.

my wife likes it matt...oh you meant the other Bob...lol

JackM wrote:
On the other hand, you can make a rod shorter by choking up when necessary, but it isn't really possible to make it longer by "choking down." :-o

You can also shorten the rod by taking it apart and use the tip section.

dryflyguy wrote:
For all around use, an 8'5' rod is hard to beat.
I have a 9' 5wght, but only use it on the largest streams

By "for all around use" you mean "dry fly fishing", right? :p

Go with the longer 5 wt. You'll be buying a 7.5 ft 3 wt for small streams before you know it, then you'll be happy you went long on your first rod.

I also think the 8 ft, 5 wt is a good choice for the first trout rod. Perfect for medium streams, and adaptable enough for for large and small ones.

In the less expensive rods, usually the bigger they are, the disproportionally heavier they are. I prefer to keep the rod weight under 3.6 ounces if at all possible which typically means about 8 ft or less in the inexpensive series rods.

I also agree that if you like this sport, you will succumb to the "sickness" of accumulating too much equipment, and so a 7 ft and then a 9 ft will likely also be in your collection eventually.

i started with a 9' 5 wt, but i also have a 8' 4 wt for trout

If you're fishing anything larger than Slate Run a 9 foot rod is better, depending on the action of the rod. You can use a 7'6" rod on streams of that size if it has the right action. But any shorter rod will limit the distance you can cast. Heck for about 4 years I used a 9 foot rod on Cold Run in Schuylkill County, it was way too long.

Back