How Many Rods On This List Do You Have?

fadeaway263

fadeaway263

I was amazed that out of my 5 rods I have four from this list: the Sage a 10ft 5wt San Francisco Era Powell A Fenwick HMG Graphite and my very first rod the Fenwick 7.5? 5wt Feralite Fiberglass Fly Rod but mine is a 3wt

http://troutunderground.com/2009/02/the-underground-picks-the-dozen-best-fly-rods-of-all-time-period/

The San Francisco era rod mentioned is a Winston, not a Powell!!!!!

Only the non-brand 6WT.

I own a pile of fly rods but none of the named ones on the list - not even an old Fenwick.

Right as usual Prof my bad but in my defense I have the last series of Powell rods made in the USA

Although not made by Walton or EC Powell mine is a Press Powell "Light Touch"

http://www.classicpowellrod.com/Press_Powell.html

englishprof wrote:
The San Francisco era rod mentioned is a Winston, not a Powell!!!!!

Thankfully none - the guy is vaguely trying not to be cast as an American bamboo snob - really ? No English or French rods in there ? No Loop ? No sage RPL+ or XP ?

The only one I have is the Diamondback "Diamondglass". Mine is the 7'6" 3 weight though.

None. Here's my current lineup:

Dry fly-hatch matcher: 8 ft 5 wt DreamCatcher "The Paradise" model bamboo
Nymphing/all round workhorse: 9 ft 5 wt GLoomis GL3
Tweener (small but not real small): 8 ft 5 wt St. Croix Imperial
Brookies: 7'6" 4/5 wt Cortland GRX
Steelhead/bass: 10 ft 7 wt Gary Loomis Signature Series

That’s it. 5 rods. And I think they cover my bases pretty dang well. The only gap I think I have is I’d like to get a salmon/saltwater rod. I don’t do that kind of fishing that much, but when I do I’m seriously undergunned with the 7 wt. I also wouldn’t mind getting a shorter brookie rod. Something in the 6-7 ft range in probably a 4 wt. I had one, but broke it.

The last one there, I’m actually not sure of the maker. I think it’s TFO but it doesn’t say TFO anywhere on the blank. Just has Gary’s signature. I traded an unused Orvis Trident/Power Matrix rod for it, and sold a 10 ft 7 wt Sage Fli. I like it though. IMO in that set of moves I upgraded a rod that gets some use, while making money, and ridding myself of a basement sitter.

I had the FF755, but sold it in the interest of liquidity during one of my Bohemian/fish bum periods. I still have the FF605, which I always liked better than the FF755 anyway.

In any event, any list of the 10 Greatest Fly Rods that does not include the 70's - 90's Orvis Far & Fine, 7'9" 5 wgt. doesn't have much credibility IMO anyway...

One if you count a "Perfectionist" taper produced by a craftsman not affiliated with the Paul Young Rod company.

I used to have a Fenwick HMG 9' 6wt, which would have given me three on the list, but I gave it away.

If you count the above "Perfectionist" and you count this "any of the Paul Young semi-parabolic rods could qualify for the Desirable Dozen".

Then the number jumps to five:

6' 3" 4wt "Midge"
7' 6"' 4wt "Perfectionist"
7' 2" 5wt "Driggs River"
7' 6" 5wt "Martha Marie"
8' 0" 5wt "Para 15"

I still fish my Sage 389 LL often, I agree it is one of the great spring creek rods!

In any event, any list of the 10 Greatest Fly Rods that does not include the 70's - 90's Orvis Far & Fine, 7'9" 5 wgt. doesn't have much credibility IMO anyway...

RleeP, you are right on the money- the far and fine was the first premium rod I bought back in the late 80's. Mine is named "Magic", every newber that I introduced to flyfishing became a convert, and are still at it. I do get to fish it occasionally when I can pry it out of my son's hands!

Didn't even have to click the link to know my answer is "none."

fenwicks were the rod to beat until they went off shore then sage.
owned batches of both

I have zero of the ones on the list and I'm pretty happy about that.

I have a Fenwick HMG. It was a retirement gift for my Dad when he retired from the Army Depot in New Cumberland. After he passed away my mother gave it to me and I use it all the time. Great little rod for the small mountain streams I fish.

None, but I still manage to catch fish.

shortrod2 wrote:
One if you count a "Perfectionist" taper produced by a craftsman not affiliated with the Paul Young Rod company.

I used to have a Fenwick HMG 9' 6wt, which would have given me three on the list, but I gave it away.

If you count the above "Perfectionist" and you count this "any of the Paul Young semi-parabolic rods could qualify for the Desirable Dozen".

Then the number jumps to five:

6' 3" 4wt "Midge"
7' 6"' 4wt "Perfectionist"
7' 2" 5wt "Driggs River"
7' 6" 5wt "Martha Marie"
8' 0" 5wt "Para 15"

Very nice group. I've cast and been fortunate enough to fish a few of those...... all are great rods with the Para 15 being my favorite is a favorite is even possible.

Where did this guy get the creds to be able to pick the ten best rods of all time?

I never owned a Model 50 Leonard but I did own two Leonard Model 38H rods that at the time I felt were the sweetest rods I'd ever fished. I still have a Sage LL 9' #4 bought new and the Sage LL 8' 9" #3 that I built from a blank fifteen years ago and I've fished just once and put the rod back in it's sack and tube. I'm saving it for my old age. I have over a dozen other rods and none are on this list of the "greatest rods of all time" yet have caught thousands of trout.

An example of one of the Leonard 38H is attached.

Attachments

• Cutthroat.jpg
    Cutthroat.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 2
hmmm - pretty much have all the FW ones, except for the Trailmaster and Epoxite. And I arrived at them independent of this dude, before he started his Underground. Is this wrong?

Agree with others about the early F'nF.

Now in search of a small Epoxite.

I have both Fenwicks representing 50% of my arsenal. Sage is on my buy list.

Back