How Long Does Mason Hard Leader Material Stay Good?

T

troutbert

I bought a Mason hard mono leader tie kit back probably around 1990 or so, which makes it about 24 years old.

It's 12 spools of tippet running from .021 (22 lb test) down to .006 (2 lb) test.

I never used very much of it because I soon switched to Maxima for the leader butts.

Does leader material just "go bad" after so many years? Or it exposure to sun and heat etc. that destroys it?

I always had it indoors, just using it to build the leader butts, so never took it on fishing trips. It looks good as new. Would it still have as much strength as when new?

troutbert wrote:
I bought a Mason hard mono leader tie kit back probably around 1990 or so, which makes it about 24 years old.

It's 12 spools of tippet running from .021 (22 lb test) down to .006 (2 lb) test.

I never used very much of it because I soon switched to Maxima for the leader butts.

Does leader material just "go bad" after so many years? Or it exposure to sun and heat etc. that destroys it?

I always had it indoors, just using it to build the leader butts, so never took it on fishing trips. It looks good as new. Would it still have as much strength as when new?

I have an Orvis leader tying kit of about the same vintage. I still use some of the heaviest diameter line for different things. I would throw away the finer line, but the heavy stuff is way stronger than any tippet for trout.

Mason mono is really stiff. Back-in-the-day FFers believed a stiff leader turned over a fly better. Today it is rare to see stiff butts on any leaders. Anyway, the lines should be fine.

I've got Maxima spools that are about that age, and they're fine.

Wanna try something cool?

Build a leader out of it, then coil it up like a store bought leader - thinnest wrapped first, then wrap the last few inches of the butt around the "hoop" you formed.

Boil about an inch of water in a small pan, and when it reaches a good rolling boil, toss the rolled up leader in for 5 minutes while it continues to boil.

After 5 minutes, take the leader out, and immediately give it a good stretching.

This should answer your question - prepare to be impressed. The effect only lasts a few days, but you can repeat the process as often as needed. It makes the leader very supple, and you can actually cast just the leader with your hand.

Since the leader is now more supple, you'll get better drag free drifts with it. It also absorbs shock better than a non-boiled leader = less breakoffs.

I also have maxima about that same age.
I switched to hy-flote leaders about 10 years ago now.
But I still use that maxima to nail knot leader loops on the end of my fly line. And it's fine

Back