How is Spring or Fishing creek looking right now?

HopBack

HopBack

I have off tomorrow and planned to take a triple to central PA. The south central area is pretty swamped right now so I’m going to have to travel to find fishable water.

Spring is at 224 cfs at Axemann and I expect that to drop below 200 cfs overnight. TCO report says the water clarity was bad today but that was when it was at 286 cfs. Anyone have a current idea of what things look like? Fishing creek also likely got less rain and melt off so that might be an option.

I rarely fish the well known streams so some tribs will be fine as well if either of those don’t work out.

Thanks for the input.

Fishing Creek should be fine. It's a little up and dirty in the stocked stretch, but normally upstream in Lamar it's cleaner and lower. I can't speak for this week, but mid week last week I was up in the Tylersville section and there was still 4 inches of snow. That snow melt may be a factor if there was any left

Spring should also be a good option by tomorrow, but I haven't driven by.

Just fished spring today, below the paradise
It rose 6 inches last night - but had already fallen 2 inches by this morning.
Still a little high and murky, but fishable for sure.
BWO’s hatched between 3 and 5, and brought up a few fish in slow water sections. And that was it for the day
Water temp was 46

Thanks guys I think I will start there at least and see how things go.

Drove over BFC last night. It was up but clear up top, muddy down low.

Thought I would add and update. spring was at fishable levels but the clarity was way off. No bugs visible and no fish. I tried both nymphing and streamers and not a thing. Might have been better in the afternoon but I moved to BFC. Didn’t even put the waders on as it was chocolate milk. Busted trip!

HopBack wrote:
Thought I would add and update. spring was at fishable levels but the clarity was way off. No bugs visible and no fish. I tried both nymphing and streamers and not a thing. Might have been better in the afternoon but I moved to BFC. Didn’t even put the waders on as it was chocolate milk. Busted trip!

Don't know what part of the stream you were on.
But I was in the paradise around noon today. And thought the clarity was pretty good there.

You should have stuck around. The olives started around 12:30 and went to about 5 - which is typical for this time of year

Snow melt was definitely a factor, even in the Narrows, on 3/13. Tough day even though bugs are present.

nymphingmaniac wrote:
olive fishing was good today on upper Spring.

Is the snow gone?
There was a good bit around when I was up there last weekend

Conditions on Spring Creek? Very Crowded. These conditions will likely remain until first week of June.

Crowd is a mix of fly and spin fisherman.......with spin fisherman predicted to be thinning after mid-April, and a forecasted increase in fly fisherman.

Snow is mostly gone

+1^

The bulk of the melt is over. We are left with slower melting on mountain ridges, hollows etc. This is usually good melt because its slow and keeps the water up.

Spring was high and off color today, the hatches never really happened. Nymphing produced. I think if given a couple days the olives will start bringing them to the top.

Spring was high and very stained today. In my opinion it was too swift to wade safely.

The way the creek rose today is different from what happened after last weekends rain

It spiked up quickly last saturday night, and dropped 2 inches by sunday morning.

Todays rise has been a gradual ascent - leading me to believe it's likely gonna stay high for awhile now

I threw an articulated for 90 minutes and got three grabs and no lands yesterday. The weather was pleasant.

PSA- the Shiloh Rd Sheetz is closed. It’s currently demolished. So that was a disappointment. I’m sure it will be rebuilt. Bathroom at Sheetz on 150 above Paradise.

acristickid wrote:
I threw an articulated for 90 minutes and got three grabs and no lands yesterday. The weather was pleasant.

PSA- the Shiloh Rd Sheetz is closed. It’s currently demolished. So that was a disappointment. I’m sure it will be rebuilt. Bathroom at Sheetz on 150 above Paradise.

Yeah - after 3 hour ride, that sheetz was often my first stop before fishing too.

Guess I'll have to use the porta - john at the paradise - which often isn't very nice

dryflyguy wrote:
acristickid wrote:

Yeah - after 3 hour ride, that sheetz was often my first stop before fishing too.

Guess I'll have to use the porta - john at the paradise - which often isn't very nice

There is also a bathroom open to the public at the hatchery at Fishermans Paradise. It's in the building with the displays about the history of the Paradise. The hatchery grounds are open to the public from about 8 to 4 am.

Can't sheet at sheetz!! :oops:

Things will improve in the coming weeks with respect to the weather, flows, hatches, fishing as well as restroom facilities.

Back