How I tye my articulated streamer joint

PACOFRANSICO

PACOFRANSICO

Some guys wanted to know haw to tye the joint on articulated streamers. Here's how I tye mine.
Hooks: Dia Riki Bass bug hooks
The "Leash": 50 pound EZ Braid
Glue: Super Glue
Thread: Gel Spun
Bead: 4MM
1. Dress your back hook cut a 8 inch section of braid and run thought the eye of the hook. Tye a triple over hand knot (not a single like I did in the picture).
DSC00405.jpg

2. Run both end of braid through the beads hole. Slide it down to knots. Chuck up your front hook and make 3 wraps around braided line.
DSC00406.jpg

3. Give the shaft of the front hook a shot of super glue. Use your hackle pliers to wind the braid up the shank of the hook (like you ar dubbin with it).
DSC00407.jpg

4. Wrap up to your hackle pliers. Then give your thread wraps a another dose of super glue and fold the tag ends back down the shank of the hook towards the bend wrap back over the glue and the ends to the bend of the hook whip finish and then you can start tyeing your fly after another coat of glu.
DSC00408.jpg

I know all the glu the thread and the braid are pretty overboard but I don't want 1 of these comin apart on a fish. Plus I want them to be stout enough so I can pull'em loose from snags.

That's awesome. Thanks. Do you ever have any problems with the rear hook fouling, and does the bead help with that?

Also, do you fish it as a two hook rig, or do you break off the first one?

JG

Fouling hasn't been a problem yet. Just make sure the bead is pulled tight up against the bend of the hook. That keps the leash from from wrapping around. Don't pull the bead so tight that the back peice of braid cants upward that i'll make the fly spin though the water.

As far as a 2 hook rig 2 are better than 1. Most of your hook ups on a big fish 20+, the meat eaters will be on the front hook. Trout swallow big prey head first. But some will just swipe or roll at it sometimes. I don't wanna leave those fish out either.

Paco,

You're the man. Keep the streamers and tips coming. I can guarantee that at least I am appreciative of the new ideas for the vise.

Good stuff, paco. You definitly have me thinking.

Have you tried a series of 3 beads on the leash insted of the 1 bead and knots. It seems like that may stiffen the leash a little, preventing tangles, but still allow movement.

I love adding red to meat flies whenever possible. 3 red beads seem like they would flash some red as the fly bends.

Any thoughts?

If you're in a pinch and don't have EZ braid, backing material will also work. I have some orange backing that I've been using and it does give a little color to the center of the flies, kind of like what flyswatter mentioned about the red.

I thought6 this was going to be a Spike Lee movie at first :lol:

I like Paco's technique using braided line and a bead - good stuff.

For those of you new fly tyers who have never worked with braided spin line, be aware that the stuff is extremely strong and very narrow diameter and if you pull on it strongly with your fingers, it will cut flesh. I've seen braided line shear skin off fishermen's arms in chunks when big fish run. Be careful with knot tying if you have never worked with the stuff.

Also, have some monster streamers tied on single long shank hooks for fly fishing only waters as these sections allow only single hook flies here in PA.

Dave,

Do regs allow for snipping the leading hook at the bend?

jayL wrote:
Dave,

Do regs allow for snipping the leading hook at the bend?

Jay,
I would assume that this would make your fly perfectly legal for FFO waters both in terms of letter and spirit of the law. Any WCO who would think otherwise would be entirely unreasonable in my opinion.

great thread fellas , a little red upfront is supposed to immitate gills on baitfish and some guys think fish target these

Hey Flyswatter, You were talkin about the beads I add 2 tops. Anymore and my flyies get outta hand. I've got a couple that top out at 5+ inches ok I'll be truth full 6+ inches long. Ive had steelhead in erie chase the six inchers down just to turn tale and boil at em.

In really deep water you might wanna try brass beads. I've used brass beads instead of the glass ones for lakes or high water. But hands down they swim better (the fly) weightless.

Here is the finished fly from this thread.

DSC00409.jpg

What are everyone's thoughts on using backing for the joint? It's the best option I had handy, and seems to have worked well.

As long as it doesn't look too unnatural...You didn't have any 3x or larger?

I am running low in 12 lb and 20lb mono, and I was concerned with mono getting nicked or brittle. Have you used it before?

I managed to cover it with marabou, but I didn't make a very long fly. It was more a proof of concept thing.

In my opinion fly backing isn't a good choice unless it's gel spun backing. Regular backing breaks down over time and isn't stiff enuff to keep it from foulin'. But that just my experience.

Jay

I've tied a few with backing and had no problems. It's not stiff like mono, so if your materials aren't the right length or your joint is too long/short, it could lead to fouling like paco said. As for backing breaking down over time, I tend to lose em faster than I can tie em so it's not really a problem for me.

i use 2x for my streamer joints , backing is too soft (rotting ) , i use kevlar thread and super glue. it'll hold em ..

iv been using medium sized ultra wire,,works like a charm

I've used surflon braided wire leader but never ultra wire u can kink it and twist it off to easily for my liking.

Back