How far would you go for a flyrod/fly shop?

M

mgh-pa

I'm in the market for a new fly rod (still using my Cahill beginner setup, and I'm ready to upgrade). I'm in Cogan Station (north of Williamsport), and since E.Hille Co is officially closed, it looks like Slate Run is the closest shop to me (an hour drive/40 miles one way). I was considering buying a rod online, but I've heard from countless others that you really should test out the rods in person (casting, feel, etc.,) not to mention the advice I could get as a beginner from actual shop owners.

An hour drive isn't much by today's standards, but it's still a decent amount of gas to try out rods I may not even like. I suppose the advice/knowledge I may gain would be worthwhile? Thoughts?

Uh dude, if I was only an hour away from Wolfe's General Store/Slate Run, that would BE MY FLY SHOP! You are lucky!

The_Sasquatch wrote:
Uh dude, if I was only an hour away from Wolfe's General Store/Slate Run, that would BE MY FLY SHOP! You are lucky!

So I take it they're great people to deal with? I feel so ungrateful at times living where I do, and not taking advantage of it like I should. I've dabbled with fly fishing since starting for the first time three years ago, but I've never put as much time into it as I should. I can be on Lycoming, Loyalsock, Little/Big Pine, Spring Creek, Slate Run, Cedar Run, etc,. with drives between 2 minutes- 1 hours and I have summers off as a teacher :oops:

Slowly starting to get more into it, but I'm lacking instruction (hence the reason I'm considering going to a fly shop in the first place).

McConnells Country Store and Fly Shop in Waterville is closer. Glenn sells a number of different brand of rods ie. Sage, G. Loomis, Winston, Hardy and Cortland. I have cast a number of those rods and even bought a few. Believe me he will treat you right. I'm sure you would enjoy your experience at Glenn's shop. I do everytime I go there. :)

Oh yeah I forgot about that store. Love that place too! McConnell's is a great store.

Make a trip up to Pine a day trip. Fish behind the store at Slate Run, its littered with trout right now, and try out the rods you're looking at.

Not that any of those shops are bad choices, and not trying to steer you from them.

But in only slightly over an hour, you have additional choices too. State College has 2 very good shops in FFP and TCO. The Feathered Hook in Coburn is another good one about the same distance.

Even without E. Hille, you are hardly in a fly shop poor area of the state.

Speaking of graphite only and ignoring boo and glass, here's the brands carried by these shops:

Slate Run - Orvis, and not sure what else. Only been there once and it was years ago.

McConnell's Country Store - Sage, Winston, G. Loomis, Hardy, Cortland, Reddington

The Feathered Hook - Hardy, Greys. I'm not sure what else, I'm always distracted by the boo rods!!!

Fly Fishers Paradise - Orvis, Sage, G. Loomis, Greys, Cortland

TCO State College - Scott, Winston, Sage, Orvis, TFO, Ross

Anyone else feel free to add to this, this is just off of my memory.....

Yep, I've heard of TCO in state college. They are on my list, but I wanted to hit closer first, and work my way out if I have to. I'm not looking to spend $300+ on a rod, so hopefully there are some budget friendly options available (which I'm sure there will be).

When I was at Slate Run last month, they had several Orvis Clearwater rods on sale. Very affordable, and a great rod! I think the ones I saw were running around $140 or so (don't quote me on that, I just remember them being cheaper than the Orvis website).

If anything, you can get a rippin' awesome sandwich!

You don't have to spend $300 on a rod. I own rods ranging from under $100 to over $1000. The cheapest, a Cortland, is among my favorites and I like it better than some in the 3-4 hundred range that I've gotten rid of.

This is where personal preference comes into play. We're all different. For instance, I have nothing bad to say about the Orvis Clearwater that Sasquatch mentioned. But I owned one once, and didn't like it's action. I've never really liked any of the Orvis rods I owned. I know they're great rods and respected casters love em, I just don't. And I have nothing against the company, I buy the crap out of their reels, waders, and the like. I WANT to like their rods, and perhaps someday I'll try a model I do, but I haven't found it yet.

Because we're all different, I always encourage newbies to start with a cheapo rod as they learn to cast. Don't get a "nice" rod until you've settled into a casting stroke, are discovering the rod's weaknesses, and can tell what your going to like long term. It sounds like that's the path you've taken. But put some thought and testing into this buy, the right rod will last you a lifetime. Oh, you'll buy more rods, but they'll be specialty rods, meant for specific situations. There's always one that's the workhorse, and you're at the point on the learning curve where you should be looking for your workhorse.

To answer your original question. Not very far. If I'm in the area, sure, I'll stop by, but I won't go out of my way to go to any.

Tis the season for closeout specials on rods that will be discontinued in 2013. Whether online shopping or buying from a local (or not so local) shop, look for deals. Sage Flight rods are being discontinued and can be found for $250ish (normally $350).

My advise is to wait until the Fly Fishing Show in Somerset NJ, there you can cast every rod t the show. All the manufacturers will be there. Before you go have something in mind, that you think you'll want. I know it's a 4 hour trip from Williamsport, but you'll get to try every rod out there. I always tell guys to try as many rods as they can before buying, I don't know if that what they do, but to me it's good advise.
I've built several rods and have tried built rods made from the blanks I've built, before buying a blank. I've got couple of rods I'm interested in selling, because I just don't use them, let me know if you decide what you want.

WildTigerTrout wrote:
McConnells Country Store and Fly Shop in Waterville is closer. Glenn sells a number of different brand of rods ie. Sage, G. Loomis, Winston, Hardy and Cortland. I have cast a number of those rods and even bought a few. Believe me he will treat you right. I'm sure you would enjoy your experience at Glenn's shop. I do everytime I go there. :)

+1 on this. Glenn McConnell has supported events held through this forum - he's just a nice guy too.

I can't imagine getting better service or prices either. He's got a great selection of value priced flyfishing gear, and high end stuff too. I really like that shop!

Chaz wrote:
My advise is to wait until the Fly Fishing Show in Somerset NJ, there you can cast every rod t the show. All the manufacturers will be there. Before you go have something in mind, that you think you'll want.

that's what i would do. and if you're lucky the guy next to you might offer a casting tip or two for free. i did 3 years ago and i turned round and it was Lefty Kreh.lol

its a bit nerve wracking casting in front of other people but it makes you concentrate on your cast and the rod's action.

last year i tried out the TFO BVK and really liked it which is a rod a little bit pricier than i like - i go for Greys GS2 or Redington Redfly2 or Echo, the first two because they are made and designed by Hardy and Sage, and they have the medium action i like.

i'm looking forward this year to trying the Greys Streamflex XF2 - more expensive than their usual price range...

i then buy from my local store because its important to support them to keep the resource.

Mark

Thanks everyone. It seems it may be worth my while to pay a visit to a few of these shops. I might make it out there in a couple of weekends once my schedule frees up a bit.

I normally travel around 1/2 hour to 45 minutes to either two shops that are around the Philly area. Other than that if you want to count my reel and flies purchased up at Salmon River (5 hours drive) when I went up for steelheads that one day, that's ok.
Only a few of my flies purchased in the philly area would have worked up there. Sometimes you have to go to the local area fly shop to see what's best for that area.

...as far as I would to fish a decent stream. There could be one near by. Hit it on the way to or from the stream. but for JUST a shop. Only a couple minutes.

FYI
FFP no longer carries SAGE
TCO state college has few SAGE models in the shop, but not all. The TCO website has practically the whole line. They may drop ship or have a greater variety at other locations. I would call first to see if they have what you are looking for on hand. they might be willing to transfer a rod or two from another store to that location for you.

Back