How does the Yellow Breeches fish in the winter?

N

nomad_archer

So it looks like I may possibly be out in the Boiling Springs area this Friday and was wondering how the breeches fishes in the winter? I have never fished the YB before. I have my Keystone Fly Fishing guide book to help find access. I having read the guide book I realize there is a lot of miles stream to fish. Could someone point me in a general direction on where I should start?

Thanks in advance.
- Nomad

I fish Breeches year round (was just there today) and it is a worthwhile visit in wintertime. Water temp was 40 degrees.

Since it's your first trip, you should park at The Run, spend some time there, and fish downstream through the special reg section. Remember, when you get down to Allenberry, keep to the right side (as you're looking downstream) due to construction (the construction is obvious, I was there today and they are clearly working on the buildings and grounds). I don't expect to catch a lot of fish this time of year, but dead sticked nymphs did tempt a few small wild BTs today.

Also, take some time to visit the TCO fly shop in town while you're there. Feel free to send me a PM if you'd care to discuss further. Good luck with your trip.
Dave

I've only ever fished it once, and that was in early February last year. I had a blast and caught some nice fish.

At this time of the year, and not being familiar with the different stretches of water, I agree with Dave and stay in the c&r area from the Little Run to Allenberry.

I haven't seen the weather forecast for Friday, but we had a few warmer days last week and there were a lot of midges in the air, so bring your favorite midge dries and emergers.

Looks like the weather Friday will be cloudy high of 32*. Seems like the consensus says to stay in the special regs area. I don't actually have to be in the area any more of Friday but I am going to make the hour drive to try something different. I have been driving about 40-50 minutes to the Tully for the last few outings. Time to explore some new water.

I looked at Dave_W's nymphing survey so I have a pretty good idea what I need to make sure I have stocked up in the boxes.

Dave_W I always hit the TCO in Boiling Springs when I visit my friend who lives right up the road. It is a nice shop and I do believe I "need" some more tying materials. So I am familiar with the area just never actually fished the water.

I was looking at the USGS website and there is only one gauge on the breeches in camp hill. How representative is that reading to the rest of the stream? At what point should I consider the breeches blow out and stay home?

nomad_archer wrote:

I looked at Dave_W's nymphing survey so I have a pretty good idea what I need to make sure I have stocked up in the boxes.

I was looking at the USGS website and there is only one gauge on the breeches in camp hill. How representative is that reading to the rest of the stream? At what point should I consider the breeches blow out and stay home?

Thanks - glad you're enjoying my macro survey thread.

I'd consider about 500cfs as blown out on YB and wading gets difficult if not impossible. Becasue it's such a long stream, you can head upriver and find fishable water when the lower reaches are too heavy to wade. YB is low and clear right now.

Incidentally, when you visit, if you don't see many trout don't be surprised. The reg section has some wild fish, mostly small, but relies mainly on stocking and this time of year, there just isn't a lot of fish. If you come back in April, the number of fish visible in The Run and main stem is much higher.

Thanks again Dave. The purpose of the trip is first to try and catch a few fish but also to do a bit of advanced recon. My buddy who lives in Boiling Springs keeps mentioning that he wants to come fishing with me and try fly fishing so I figure what better place to take him then right down from his house. Of course I am going to wait until the spring after the area is stocked. I am still learning about FFing so I am not sure how much help I will be teaching him but none the less I am sure we will have fun.

So it looks like I may possibly be out in the Boiling Springs area this Friday and was wondering how the breeches fishes in the winter? I have never fished the YB before. I have my Keystone Fly Fishing guide book to help find access. I having read the guide book I realize there is a lot of miles stream to fish. Could someone point me in a general direction on where I should start?

Thanks in advance.
- Nomad
C&R is a tourist trap. Anything above and right below boiling springs will fish ok.

Back