How do you tell someones loved ones they died fishing………………….. for stockers

Oh to be young again. GG

I was a big fan of the short bus diaries doing something similar but without the risk for spinal cord injuries or death. And the quarry was Sssoooooo worth setting up a trip like this and tricking out a short bus.

You can't get there from here......well.....maybe....

I know fly anglers are the most XTREME backcountry adventure heros, but if anyone outside of fishing hears the statement "They died doing what they loved: fishing," I promise you they picture a very particular demographic having a heart attack while sitting on a bait bucket catfishin'.

I knew two guys who died while fishing.

1. A great all-around sportsman, the first one I knew who fished two dry flies at a time, died while sucker fishing prior to the opening day of trout season. He was 80 and had lived a full life.

2. The second died too young at 65 while fly-fishing on the LJR. He was the best wet-fly fisherman I knew of my age group.

People lamented that it was sad these guys died while fishing. Not me. Though the second one should have have lived to the age of the first one, I think that when I die, I would like to go the way they did: while fishing.

I think that when I die, I would like to go the way they did: while fishing.
Me too. I don't want to be laying in a hospital bed for days/weeks pondering my imminent mortality.

I had a good childhood friend who died while smallie fishing on the Susky just a few years ago. He was only 62. Much too young. I miss him.

Easier than telling them they died fishing ...... for 5 inch brookies???
Yes easier than telling them they did it for a fish that doesnt know how to be a fish and eats stones thinking they are pellets and sinks tk the bottom and dies vs. wild invasive trout you can find sipping the used condom hatch in the Lack. Id rather die fishing for something that you actually have to go off beaten path to find, is evolutionarily designed tk live where it does and is not just another man made impairment like stockers and invasive species. Hard yes

Easier than telling them they died fishing ...... for 5 inch brookies???
It's ironic, those 5" brookies you speak of mostly live in beautiful, wild streams away from the craziness that exists on most stocked trout water. You know, those streams where y'all have to worry about how many other fishermen you'll encounter getting to your favorite section. Some of the same streams where property owners are telling you they don't want you trespassing on their land to access a given stocked stream. Yeah, I'll take those 5" brookies, as it's a fair swap for the peace of mind you get chasing our state fish.

Next time im on a SCPA limestoner ill have to take note of the solitude of which you speak. Especially Green drake time.

With all due respect, i have found wild brookies to be fairly easy to fool. Any buggy looking fly with a decent drift usually gets them to bite. The gaudier the better. I just dont see the reward worth the effort. Doesnt mean i dont support conservation of the little critters. Just not an enjoyable pastime for me. Id rather catch blue gills. Just as easy, just as pretty with 1/4 the effort.

Though i dont target them, catching them mostly by chance, you want a tough fish to catch, try catching a palomino. I despise the SOBs and knock off every one i can. I dont think the eat dry flies. They are undoubtedly the hardest trout to catch on a fly.

Tonite i fished the Lehigh. Yep --Memorial day Sunday. White water release and all.
I was on the water at 6:00 PM on a stocked section about a 10 minute walk above a parking area. No crowds to be seen, no fisherman, no bikers, dog walkers or joggers. Just the White water folks putting the last few rafts and kayaks on the trailers in the parking lot.
Saw a bear with 2 cubs, 4 different deer, geese, water snake, mergansers, a bald eagle, numerous songbirds, squirrels, a chipmunk and not a human in sight. No posted signs, no belligerant land owners, housing developments or cabins, infact not a soul once out of the parking lot.
I had the river to myself and the fishing was actually quite good. All stockies.

I would do that. I'd like my whitewater helmet unlike them, but otherwise let's go. If there's fly fishing mixed in even better.

Next time im on a SCPA limestoner ill have to take note of the solitude of which you speak. Especially Green drake time.

With all due respect, i have found wild brookies to be fairly easy to fool. Any buggy looking fly with a decent drift usually gets them to bite. The gaudier the better. I just dont see the reward worth the effort. Doesnt mean i dont support conservation of the little critters. Just not an enjoyable pastime for me. Id rather catch blue gills. Just as easy, just as pretty with 1/4 the effort.

Though i dont target them, catching them mostly by chance, you want a tough fish to catch, try catching a palomino. I despise the SOBs and knock off every one i can. I dont think the eat dry flies. They are undoubtedly the hardest trout to catch on a fly.

Tonite i fished the Lehigh. Yep --Memorial day Sunday. White water release and all.
I was on the water at 6:00 PM on a stocked section about a 10 minute walk above a parking area. No crowds to be seen, no fisherman, no bikers, dog walkers or joggers. Just the White water folks putting the last few rafts and kayaks on the trailers in the parking lot.
Saw a bear with 2 cubs, 4 different deer, geese, water snake, mergansers, a bald eagle, numerous songbirds, squirrels, a chipmunk and not a human in sight. No posted signs, no belligerant land owners, housing developments or cabins, infact not a soul once out of the parking lot.
I had the river to myself and the fishing was actually quite good. All stockies.
The Lehigh isn't what I would consider a "brookie" destination by any stretch. It doesn't surprise me that you had solitude from 6:00 PM until dark (about 3 hours) there. I doubt that would have been the case if you were there from, say 8:00 AM on.
Yes, brookies are quite simple to catch and will take most any fly presented to them, but like any wild trout, once spooked it's game over. I'm glad you had a nice time on the river though.

Are your guys trying to say that brown trout don't also live in beautiful places (and aren't harder to fool in those same places than those pretty little vacuum cleaners)? Come on! I am glad someone is fighting for the state fish, but let's not get crazy here. Penns is ugly and full of rock sippers, and forget about the hideous surroundings of Big Fishing or Pine or any number of lovely places in the country that support wild (and stocked) invasive fish (like Boone, NC where Short Bus got started too). The condom fall at dusk on the West Branch is something to see as well...

Last edited:
Back