How Do You Fish A Caddis Pupa?

O

Outback_Yak

Just would like to hear some different takes from anglers on how they fish a caddis pupa. Where in the water column? During which part of the hatch? What type of fly do you use/color?

leisenring lift

DaveS wrote:
leisenring lift

Same here. Vertical movement is the key.

Use a soft hackle to match what's hatching, or experiment to find the right color.

I have had good success attach as a dropper to a dry fly. The fish and I prefer green

Tigereye, when you fish them as a dropper, do you use a beadhead or unweighted fly?

I use the Lafontaine sparkle pupae and use a small split shot, and just drift it like a nymph.

Especially where riffles flow into the upper ends of pools. Trout will move into the upper end of the pools when the pupae are drifting and go on a feeding spree.

Regarding color, you want to imitate the caddis that is hatching. And the same with size. And the pupae are smaller than you might think from looking at the adult caddis.

Troutbert-

Do you use an indicator or are you tight lining with no indicator?

I fish caddis pupa a lot, and here is what I do:

First I cast upstream and dead-drift the pupa until it is directly in front of me. Then I lift the pupa vertically to the surface.

Second cast (from the same fishing position) I cast upstream, mending the line so it will drift freely past me. Then I swing the pupa.

3 techniques in 2 casts. After I cover the water in the immediate area, I move a bit. Wash, rinse, repeat.

@Outback. I use a beadhead with a wire body. If you go to fly tying forum page 15 a few threads down you will see a green caddis. Mine is near identical except with wire body. 2 threads below that I ask nfrechet what he uses as a body as I am looking for something a bit lighter for smaller ties.

Wild_Trouter wrote:
Troutbert-

Do you use an indicator or are you tight lining with no indicator?

I fish with no indicator. But I'm not really tight lining, as that is usually described.

When fishing pupae patterns, I don't use much weight, so I'm not bouncing it on the bottom.

And while I'm fishing with a short line when fishing the water closest to me, I gradually make the casts longer as I'm fishing the water further away.

And as you make the casts longer, I'm not tight lining. It would probably be better described as SLACK lining.

Because when you get some more line out, you have to prevent drag. And you do that by using a reach cast, to throw some line upstream. And as it drifts along, you use mends to flip the line upstream, also to prevent the line from bellying downstream and creating drag.

These are techniques that wet fly fishermen commonly use also, and were commonly used by nymph fishermen before indicators arrived.

Thanks guys. Good stuff. Always like to see other ways to skin the cat.

Some great replies.....all of the above.

There's really no one way to fish a caddis pupa or any other fly for that matter. Try different flies and ways of rigging as well as different techniques from bottom to top.

Weighted fly or add split shot to fish deep > dead-drift > add movement > swing > use leisenring lift.

Fish further up in the water column drift or move.

Or fish as an emerger in or just under the film.

When/if you find the right combination, you'll be into them.

Agreed that there is no one right way to fish a caddis pupae pattern.

You can use a strike indicator, or not. And you can fish tight lining or using a longer line, using reach casts and mends. Whatever.

When pupae are emerging, they are drifting with the current and the trout see them and eat them.

So you just chuck em upstream and drift em downstream. That's the gist of it.

Just like fishing worms!

This:

https://vimeo.com/90025213

Cool video!

Back