Hoppicator

littlelehigh

littlelehigh

Anybody tie these and use them.

http://winonaflyfactory.wordpress.com/2009/08/02/the-hoppicator/

I'm a little unsure of how to tie them on. I would think they would slide down your tippet when a fish hits. They also mention a loop to loop connection. Well then how could they be adjustable? I did find a video of some guy tying one on but it's hard to see exactly what he is doing.

I'm wondering if it's worth my time at the vise to tie a few. I read some comments on other forums that they do not float well with weighted tandems. Increasing the width of the fly may help this was one comment. Any thoughts?

Reason I am looking to try this is because I missed 5 yes 5 fish that hit my indicator last nite and I'm pizzed. I plan on returning later in the week with avengence.

Reason I am looking to try this is because I missed 5 yes 5 fish that hit my indicator last nite and I'm pizzed. I plan on returning later in the week with avengence.

I personally think that the loop to loop connection on the fly would be a pain in the butt.

That is where Jayl's paraweenie comes in handy. Seriously, Jay once gave me a green weenie tied parachute style. I believe that it was intended as a joke. However one day I had several trout hit my green indicator. Tied that para weenie on and landed fish.

Bruno,
I'll give em a try but sounds like something only Jay's thinker could think up.

Bruno wrote:
....Jay once gave me a green weenie tied parachute style. I believe that it was intended as a joke....

The parweenie is no joke!

I tied it as a brookie fly on a st patrick's day brookie trip to shenandoah. Well, it was st. patrick's day... and I was on a fishing trip. Needless to say, some weird flies got tied that night.

The paraweenie was for brookies. It was 75 degrees out the first day of the trip, and the dry fly fishing was phenomenal. I figured it was the perfect fly for those fish, but the next day was 30 degrees and snowing. I managed a few on dries, but didn't even bother fishing the experimental stuff in the bad conditions.

Ironically, bruno traded me the ultimate dry/dropper tandem dry for it. The patriot! I never actually used it as an indicator, but charlie meck swears by it.

i never used them here in pa but out west on the yellowstone, and the lamar and the soda bute, wow they where fantastic !!, i think they called them a club sandwhich, i`ve always wonderd how they would work on the alleghany below kinzua dam with those big bows and browns

"Reason I am looking to try this is because I missed 5 yes 5 fish that hit my indicator last nite and I'm pizzed. I plan on returning later in the week with avengence."

That's the reason switch to a drake dry fly as an indicator. I tie them on a size 12 but they are more like a size 10. The trout don't seem to care if it's a brown, yellow or green drake that's tied on. They hit them all year any color. Have released quite a few doubles this way.

I have tried the club sandwich here doesn't seem to work on sophisticated Pa. trout. Out west it worked fine..

Has the Paraweenie been shown or described in another thread? Got pictures or tying instructions?

I don't think it was ever documented. I'll describe it here:

Hook: size 12 or 14 standard dry fly
Body/Tail: chartreuse ultra chenille
Hackle: Grizzly.

Tie in parachute post of deer hair. Make it sturdy because the fly needs to be very heavily hackled. Tie in a few griz hackle feathers at the base of the post.

Tie in the signature loop tail, and wrap the chenille forward. It is tricky to wrap it past the post without making it look bad, so you've got to mess around with it.

Hackle it thicker than you've ever hackled any parachute before.

I actually tie off and whip finish when I'm done wrapping the chenille, and restart the thread on the parachute post to tie the hackles down, but that's just a trick I've always used for parachutes. You can use other methods, but you'll have to change the order in which you do things.

Only one was ever tied. It was then traded at the jamboree two years ago. Only bruno knows if it's still around. I might have to tie another one tonight.

Also, the egg sucking estaz weenie has been making an appearance for trib season, though I didn't catch a thing on it last year.

Last nite I whipped up 2 of Jay's Weenie Specials or do you prefer Special Jay's Weenie ;-) ;-)

Anyway, without these instructions I did a #12 and #10 with white calf tail posts. Your right PTA I'll have to try the deer hair tonite. But I gink'd that bad boy up and it floated like a cork. Well in a cup anyway. I'll give it a whirl on Friday can't wait.

I also tied a piece of 3x with perfection loops on each end to the shank first in hopes I will be able to thread it on my leader and keep it adjustable.

I tied in my tail, wrapped chenile forward to just behind the post, wrapped and tied off the hackle then did 2 more wraps of chenile in front of the post before whip finishing. Boy, that was a mouth full.......

If the indicator fly sinks the flies underneath are too heavy and the rig must become balanced.

I know this is a little much for a lot of you but this is what I so for a dry/dropper rig:
Tie the dry and attach about 8" of leader to the eye or bed. Then I fill a bucket with water. I add weight to the leader, and keep adding until the fly rides uneven. I then cut the leader and weight how much lead I placed on the leader using a poder/kitchen scale (I know some of your have these for a different reason).

I then wieght lead wire to slightly less the weight of the sinkers. That is how much lead wire I can wrap my flies with, without the indicator fly standing on the water or sinking. I then place both (or all three flies) in a compartment in my box so when I get to the stream I can create my tippet length to suit: longer for riffles and shorter for pools -- all based on the depth of the water.

I have used the hoppicator and like it for this time of the year, especially after some rain or on longer casts where czech nymphing is too difficult.

Used the Hoppicator on the Yellow breeches today. It worked great for an indicator. My only problem was that the fish I caught on the hoppicator, the fly slid down to the dropper. Is there any way to keep it in it's spot if you catch a fish on the hopper?

i imagine the hook eye and tying on at the bend of the hook would solve that one or a clinch knot to the mono loops

you can use a #12-14 royal wulff patern too , doesn't have to be a terrestrial , the idea is to fake out indicator shy fish mostly in the fly fishing only water where they see hundreds of indicators , some say with a dry as a indicator the trout are too wrapped up in the indicator fly to take real notice of the dropper , usually a nymph , but i am not sure i totally agree , i prefer other setups than a dry with nymph dropper !

Back