Hookset Help

PSUFishMenace

PSUFishMenace

Yesterday I screwed up the hookset on two 12"+ smallies and I was really frustrated. Then I was thinking, is it even possible to set the hook solid in the situation I was in?

So here was my situation. smallies holding in 3-4 feet of water with a moderate current. sand bottom. To get them to bite I've gotta tumble a fly on the bottom within a few feet of them. The fish are ten feet across from me and 20-25 feet downstream, with a moderate current in the whole area. I cannot get closer to them without spooking them, and the water is too deep to go directly upstream or downstream from them.

I couldn't get a strike all day unless the bugger was on the bottom or just off of it. Every time I let it get to the bottom, there would be a huge bow in the line. if I tried to mend line, the bow would be fixed but the fly was getting yanked up in the water. i tried a few different sized split shots but they always gave me a bow in the line.

What am I missing/doing wrong? How do i get a fly on the bottom without a bow in the line? Any help is much appreciated.

Try dead drifting with a indicator but cast it up stream and let it drift back to them and when the indicator moves set the hook like you would with a trout also make sure your hooks are sharp :cool:.
Let me know how it goes ......

I will try it, thanks, will let you know if it works- it will be a while before I get back down to that spot but I will let you know if I get 'em for sure.

It can be difficult to detect the strike with nymph fishing. Start by striking with any "different" movement of the line or indicator. You will be surprised how often it is a fish. But when fishing upstream, you usually need to wait that intolerable extra moment to allow the fish to close it's mouth...otherwise, you'll just pull out.

As for getting it down...try a "tuck cast"...this will help drive the fly deeper.
http://stevenojai.tripod.com/tuck.htm

I will also "throw into the bucket" to get my fly deep. Make your cast well upstream of the fish. Then pretend there is a bucket where your fly line ends. Roll cast a couple of times to throw extra line "in your bucket." When you have a little pile of line there, it takes the pressure off your fly allowing it to sink more quickly. Anytime you get a bow in your line, throw it back into the bucket.

Good luck and have fun.

The above advice is solid.

I would add that a sinking leader could be of help. They aren't that expensive, and can last a lifetime. Also, tie your flies heavily weighted for these situations.

All good advice above, but one other thing, in trout fishing, the action of a rod is more of a personal choice, but in bass fishing a fast action rod with a stout butt is necessary since it allows for a stronger hook set to drive the hook into the bony mouth of a bass. A trout has a mouth composed mostly of soft tissue making a strong hook-set unnecessary for the most part. Also generally the hooks smaller and make of thinner metal, and a lot of force or is not need to pull a small hook into their flesh.

Thanks guys, great link David I think that tuck cast will do the trick. Tried it a few times on W Valley yesterday, I get the concept but I'll have to practice it some more;)

Afishinado (or anyone) how can you tell the action of the rod if it doesn't say on the rod itself (I don't think mine does but I never really looked)? I have a 7' 5 wt Cabela's rod, I use it for everything (which for me is mostly trout and bass but if i decided to go after carp I would use it too) since getting another one is out of the question for me at the moment.

Rookie wrote:

Afishinado (or anyone) how can you tell the action of the rod if it doesn't say on the rod itself (I don't think mine does but I never really looked)? I have a 7' 5 wt Cabela's rod, I use it for everything (which for me is mostly trout and bass but if i decided to go after carp I would use it too) since getting another one is out of the question for me at the moment.

"The action of a fly rod refers to how flexible the fly rod is. If you forget everything else on this website, try to remember this. The action of a fly rod is simply a fancy measure of how flexible the fly rod is."

http://www.flyfishinggear.info/buyers_guide/fly_rods_action.shtm

I just really noticed my rod's action this weekend trying to cast a popper....8'6' 5wt with about 6-7' of 3x. Rod tip flexing way too much had to take the popper off.

So...

fast action=stiff except very tip
slow action=flexible almost whole length
medium action=flexible after about halfway up, bottom half stiff.

correct me if I'm wrong.

I think mine is medium then

The hookset is going to be tough on that rod. Most Cabelas combos are fast.

I had a lot of trouble this summer setting the hook on SM and LM over 12" in moving water with my 8'6 5w. The best advice I got was to set the hook with a big, hard line strip. Lifting the rod tip isn't going to do it--there's too much give in the rod, and too much give in the line. Plus (as has been said) big bass streamers have big hooks, and bass have hard mouths. Lift the rod, of course, but do it with a big line strip--in fact, think of the hookset as the line strip.

Thanks, I will try the tuck cast in combo with more line strip on the hookset. But first it has to stop raining!!!!!!

I lied, my rod is actually 7 1/2'. I actually looked at it today and it definitely does not say the action though.

You said bugger. Do you mean a bugger of a nymph or a wooley bugger? I fish smallmouth in the river. No really expert but I've learned bass and trout are different. Still smiling after out fishing my Brother, who still invites me to fish. :)

The best I can suggest is you get a longer rod a 9 foot 5 weight I think would fit smallmouth bass and trout as well. Not that you can't catch fish on a 7 1/2' rod but wow it's way too hard when it should be fun, especially if Rookie isn't just a name you use just for this site. If you are semi-new to the sport get a longer rod. I would look at a 8'6" to 9' rod. There is more balance as well as learning moments from a longer rod. I like a stiffer fast action tip flex but I nymph allot. Stiffer tip just means your flies wrap faster and tighter around the tip of your rod when you aren't paying attention or are mad at a tree. Believe me a softer slower tip can do worse damage to your mood! Even though I've about been at the breaking point with my rod it's taught me what not to do. All that extra stuff we do with our rods when not effectively casting .......my rod has taught me not to do. I hope you hang in there with the learning curve because it seems sometimes to me to be endless. I still smile everytime I grab my rod! :) I really think a longer rod would be a better match with what you want to do and overall would be a more versatile rod.

Wooly bugger (like the one in the trout's mouth in my avatar), haha didn't realize there is a difference. And I'm sort of a rookie, this is my first year flyfishing streams but last year I did it fairly often on ponds for bluegills and a few bass, just to get the hang of it somewhere where I wouldn't lose or break anything.

Could be quite a while before I get a job where I make enough to be able to buy another rod. Parents won't pay for my fishing gear anymore which is annoying but understandable, I would have filled the garage by now lol. I have casting down for the most part, of course I'm nowhere near perfect but good enough to catch fish in most situations. I know what you mean, as soon as you stop paying attention something bad happens. I try to focus all the time, it's tough, and the constant challenge is what I enjoy most about flyfishing. And I'm better than my friend (also a rookie) which is really all that matters LOL. I haven't had a lot of trouble with the hookset until this kind of situation came up so I'm not sold on the idea of getting another rod yet, at least not until next summer. Thank you for the advice though, I appreciate it!

FYI, here is a good article on the subject:

http://www.midcurrent.com/flyfishing/tinyhooks.aspx

Rookie..........widen the hook gap a few degrees will help , if you tie your own do the barb and the hook gap in the vise before you tie that way if theres an accident , no big deal. A little offset can help at times too but i wait till later for that if needed.

Thanks! great article afish, will definitely give your tip a try as well Osprey!

Back