Hooks... Too many to choose

sroach

sroach

Next Newbie dilemma,

1X Long, 2X long, 1X heavy, Emergers, curved shank....etc...etc..

Is there a list somewhere that exists that says if you have these 5, 10, 15 style hooks it's all you need? Seems like every recipe needs a different style hook.

And does 2X long vs 3X long really make that big of a difference?

sroach wrote:

I don't think so.
If you're tying very traditional looking streamers, than you will want a long shank that matches the proportions seen on these traditional patterns.

Regarding curved shank hooks: These hooks have become much more popular in recent years. They're often called "scud" or "caddis" style. I do like and use these curved hooks a lot. They are often touted as allowing you to tie a fly that matches the curved bodies of scuds or other curved nymphs.

However, the main advantage these curved hooks afford - in my opinion - is that they produce a fly that flips upside down when fished. This allows the fly to drift hook upward thus reducing snags.

Dave_W: This is something I need to keep in mind when tying on these hooks. Not only should I encourage this effect by properly weighting the curved shank, but I should either tie "in the round" or upside-down to account for the inverted fly.

Disclaimer: This may matter more to me than to the trout.

Another thought: Curved, shorter shank hooks have wider gapes for a given length fly body. This is a big advantage in small flies (

sroach wrote:
Next Newbie dilemma,

1X Long, 2X long, 1X heavy, Emergers, curved shank....etc...etc..

Is there a list somewhere that exists that says if you have these 5, 10, 15 style hooks it's all you need? Seems like every recipe needs a different style hook.

Many of us that have been tying for many years have many styles of hooks to choose from to tie flies.

As a beginner, I recommend you start with the basic hook types:

-Standard dry fly hooks

-Streamer hooks

-Nymph hooks

You can expand your selection when and if you want to broaden the types of flies you tie.

Here is an article that gives you the basics on hook choices.

Good luck.

The styles of hooks available today is just endless. As a newbie tyer I recommend that you don't get caught up thinking you need the exact hook that someone else specified for a certain pattern. It is important to understand the difference between light wire vs. heavy wire hooks in regards to tying surface vs. subsurface patterns. Longer shank hooks can be convenient, for example, if tying a conventional pattern but putting a bead on for the head. The longer shank allows more room to work with your materials between the bead and the bend of the hook.

I can vividly remember way back in my high school days when I started tying flies. We obviously didn't have all of the choices available today. In fact I don't even remember many curved shank hooks being available, and beads ... heck, they may not have even been invented yet! My English teacher in high school taught me how to tie flies and I can still remember him teaching us about hook selection. Mustad was the most available hook to purchase at the local fly shop (no internet back then). My starter hook purchases were as follows: Mustad 94840 sizes 12 and 14 - dry flies, Mustad 3906B sizes 12 and 14 - nymphs, wet flies, Mustad 9672 sizes 8 and 10 - streamers. Back then it was as simple as that. Six little cardboard boxes with 100 hooks in each kept me tying for years. Oh, the good old days, thanks for taking me back for a moment.

Back to your new hobby, your hook purchases as a new tyer just need to be in line with the kinds of flies that you are interested in tying while starting out and it's just fine to tie a particular pattern on a different style of hook. Don't beat yourself up over all of the choices available out there. Good luck with your tying.

dc410 wrote:
The styles of hooks available today is just endless. As a newbie tyer I recommend that you don't get caught up thinking you need the exact hook that someone else specified for a certain pattern. It is important to understand the difference between light wire vs. heavy wire hooks in regards to tying surface vs. subsurface patterns. Longer shank hooks can be convenient, for example, if tying a conventional pattern but putting a bead on for the head. The longer shank allows more room to work with your materials between the bead and the bend of the hook.

I can vividly remember way back in my high school days when I started tying flies. We obviously didn't have all of the choices available today. In fact I don't even remember many curved shank hooks being available, and beads ... heck, they may not have even been invented yet! My English teacher in high school taught me how to tie flies and I can still remember him teaching us about hook selection. Mustad was the most available hook to purchase at the local fly shop (no internet back then). My starter hook purchases were as follows: Mustad 94840 sizes 12 and 14 - dry flies, Mustad 3906B sizes 12 and 14 - nymphs, wet flies, Mustad 9672 sizes 8 and 10 - streamers. Back then it was as simple as that. Six little cardboard boxes with 100 hooks in each kept me tying for years. Oh, the good old days, thanks for taking me back for a moment.

Back to your new hobby, your hook purchases as a new tyer just need to be in line with the kinds of flies that you are interested in tying while starting out and it's just fine to tie a particular pattern on a different style of hook. Don't beat yourself up over all of the choices available out there. Good luck with your tying.

This is good advice. ^

Yeah, I don't recall when we first started seeing the curved style nymph hooks. They've been around awhile, but I'm not sure when I started tying regularly with them.
And yes, Mustads were the brand back then (late 70s and 80s).

Fly-Swatter wrote:
Dave_W: This is something I need to keep in mind when tying on these hooks. Not only should I encourage this effect by properly weighting the curved shank, but I should either tie "in the round" or upside-down to account for the inverted fly.

Disclaimer: This may matter more to me than to the trout.

I think this effect really has practical value and is not just to "catch fishermen."

I'd add: in addition to tying in the round, place your weight, whether a bead or lead wrap, at mid shank. By placing the weight at the "highest" part of the shank bend (when looking at the hook in the vise) this will enhance the flip effect and help keep the fly hook upward when drifting.

Thanks Guys.. great stuff.. and Thanks for the article Afish!

can't remember if it was AK Best or Charlie Meck who wrote that he only ties on mustard dry fly hooks (1X long) and changed the size of the hook. A 1X sz14 most often is the same as a 2X sz16, Gees, I have them all, various sizes and specialty hooks, but I've been tying since I was 14 yo (let's say I've been tying for more than 30 years and leave it at that).
beginners will do just fine on a 1X long on most situations and then have a few 3x long streamer hooks. I guess that's what DC wrote

I agree in principle with the AKB or CM assertion. It's an economic approach. However, it becomes a drawback at smaller sizes because the hook gape will be 1x SMALL for the length fly body. Having said that, most beginner tiers are not going to tie smaller than #16 or 18.

dc410 wrote:

My starter hook purchases were as follows: Mustad 94840 sizes 12 and 14 - dry flies, Mustad 3906B sizes 12 and 14 - nymphs, wet flies, Mustad 9672 sizes 8 and 10 - streamers. Back then it was as simple as that. Six little cardboard boxes with 100 hooks in each kept me tying for years. Oh, the good old days, thanks for taking me back for a moment.

I remember those days. I used Mustad 94840 hooks for both dries and nymphs.

And then about 2 sizes of streamer hooks.

And that was it.

You don't really need need a heavy wire hook for nymphs. You can add weight to the nymph with lead substitute wire or beads, and put split shot to your leader.

You could still do things this way today. Get a standard dry fly hook and also use those for nymphs. Get sizes 12, 14, 16 to start. Add size 18 later, after you get some experience tying.

And for streamers, size 8 and 10 still works.

Start out with those basics and tie a lot of standard patterns and fish with them.

Then as time goes on, you will start to want other hooks, depending on what types of streams you fish, and what types of flies you like.

And maybe you could still find some good old Mustad 94840s on Ebay!

@NymphManiac, @fly-swatter, Thank you again, I think I am well on my way. Glad to hear I didn't have to start with 37 different types :)

@troutbert, amazing what you can find on eBay, there has been one package a week at my door since Christmas. Great deals on Beads too.

sroach wrote:
Thanks Guys.. great stuff.. and Thanks for the article Afish!

Hi Steve, I will be going over a lot of this at our tying class.
See you Thurs.

GenCon Michael Lohman

Hooks are the back bone of fly tying. Depending on the pattern recipe will be the use of the hook.

The below video would give you an idea on different hook types. Weight of the hook, length of the hook (1x for standard nymphs, 2x for stonefly nymphs, standard dry for for mayfly and caddis dry)

Then you have hooks for special flies, curved hook shank for hoppers, nymphs, stimulators.

So hooks were designed by a fly tyer for their own patterns.

This video is what I use to teach a beginner that was no idea on fly tying and wants to start. (its 35 mins long)

https://youtu.be/UuvzZSU5o6M

The below link has a good amount of hook manufacturers and what there specification are

http://www.anglersportgroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Fly_Tyers_Guide1.pdf

Good Luck

I have a pretty vast hook collection.

But,I could easily tye for the rest of my life with mustad:

Dries 94840

Wets 3906 or 3399

Nymphs and streamers 9670 or 9672

I think these mustads are the standard that you can get other brands to compare to.

My wife does use curved nymph hooks for some PTN and some dries. I think they are TMC ,or some brand that she uses that I generally don’t.

Back