Hooks for dry flies

MattM

MattM

Do you prefer straight eyed hooks or down turned eyes for caddis and mayfly patterns? Is there an advantage or diadvantage for either?

My personal preference is down for dries, up for nymphs and scuds and straight for streamers. That doesn't mean thats what I always use, but what I prefer.

I think if you want a fly to skitter, an upturned hook works best. Also on a small fly, this opens the gap of the hook a bit. Well it keeps the eye out of the way, anyhow. It also better for certain knots, such as snelling the hook or using a turle knot.

A downturned eye is supposed to be better for setting the hook. It is also a good profile for emergers.

A straight eye is sort of the default. It makes a nice profile with the tippet on most flies.

That's my $0.02.

Generally I use down turned eyed hooks, probably because they are more readily avaliable. If I am tying #20 or smaller I prefer a straight eyed hook to avoid obstructing the hook point.
Flyman

I've narrowed down my hook tying preferences to 2 types.
For mayfly dries and nymphs, soft hackles and flymphs I use a straight eye hook. My current preference being the TMC 101.
For caddis dries and emergers, mayfly cripples and emergers, I use a straight eye shrimp/caddis pupae hook. Current preference TMC 2488.

Back