Acristickid

What type of hooks would you recommend for a beadhead caddis larva? pic below

Thanks in advance, Paul.

Attachments

• caddis larva.jpg
    caddis larva.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 3
Paul,

Looks like a scud or emerger style hook with a little help from some needle-nose pliers to bend the eye upward. Though there is a real possiblity that a hook is made that way by one of the hook companies. I would think it is the emerger hook (Dai-Riki 125) pictured below with the help of a pair of pliers.

JH

Attachments

• M7-5.jpg
    M7-5.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 4
For smaller flies, those under about size #14, I like any of a number of brands of laser sharpened hooks. These come extremely sharp out of the bag and the barbs are usually small and easily crushed. The trouble is the price. For larger flies, esp streamers, I still like plain old Mustads - which are available for a fraction of the cost. While dull out of the box, they can be sharped with a couple strokes on a wetstone. Their wire also seems to bend easier without breaking. I bend the shanks on a lot of my streamers and the more expensive hooks seem more brittle.

I would use a standard scud hook. It wouldn't really matter if the eye is up or down. I try to stay away from the heavier scud hooks, they don't penetrate as well as the standard wire hooks.

Akid-

I just tied 25 of a very similar pattern for the swap. What I used, and have used for this tie previously, is the Lightining Strike SE3 scud/emerger. It is 2X heavy, 2X short curved shank, 2Xwide, and continuous bend...what else could you ask for? Don't know how much of a difference all that makes, but it has been a good hook for me tying this pattern.

Thanks for the advice. I have used this pattern and cleaned up some days. Cant wait to give'em a try this year.

Actually Akid - you'll be getting one of my versions in a few days as part of your prize for winning the fantasy league...Good luck with it!

I think this is the hook you're looking for if you want something similar to the one to the one pictured, although any scud hook will work.

http://tinyurl.com/7q7kpr

It looks like an egg hook. I use tiempco hooks.

Back