Hook Problem

C

charliepff

Hi Everyone,

I hope al is well with the forum group. So, I think I made a mistake. I bought a bunch of curved hooks for tying brassies and caddis patterns because I seem to find them everywhere I go so I use them a lot in different forms. The issue I have is I can not get beads up the hook. Is there a bead I can use that will make it up a curved hook or do I need to use wire? I have lead wire but it is pretty thick when you add it to a size 14 hook. I was wondering if someone had ideas and options for me.

This fly tying stuff is hard. I have been taking my time and finding variants for simple patterns and sticking to that for now. You guys have been a great help in this endeavor.

Pinch the barb or get bigger beads. I'm assuming you're using countersunk fly tying beads.

I almost exclusively tie my curved hooks with beads. Sometimes I have to finess them over the barb or I pinch it down. There are charts out there if you google it that shows you hook sizes and the appropraite size beads. The other thing to remember is the the smaller hole goes to the front.

Sometimes you have to struggle to get the bead around the curve

Here's a video on beads and scroll down the page for the bead / hook size chart:

Choosing The Right Fly Tying Bead

Size .1 or .15 lead wire wraps should work on a size 12.

I've been tying for 12 months and sometimes everything comes together and other times I want to throw the vise out the window.
When frustrated I either stop or just start practicing some simple stuff.

Don't hesitate to start a new post if there is something specific you're having trouble with.

Depending on the manufacturer of the bead and hook, you may also have to slightly widen the gap on the hook to get it to swing around the bend. You can bend it back then once the bead is on. I found that certain styles of beads and hooks dont mesh, even if you are using the right size bead for that hook size.

I have a very soft piece of wood that I press those hard to fit beads on my hooks,It disforms the barb of the hook a little but its better than sticking a hook into yourself.All hooks and beads are not alike even if there from the same company(quality standards)are not what they should be.

I have a very soft piece of wood that I press those hard to fit beads on my hooks,It disforms the barb of the hook a little but its better than sticking a hook into yourself.All hooks and beads are not alike even if there from the same company(quality standards)are not what they should be.

I will try bending the barb back and the wood trick. I did buy countersunk beads and even the biggest one will not clear the barb because the curve is so hard. I will also pick up some smaller wire.

Thanks guys for the advice.

Depending on the actual specific bend, you may also want to consider a smaller bead. I have some stonefly hooks that I have to use a really small bead if I want one because the bigger ones get jammed at the deepest part of the curve, countersink or no.

what curved hook are you using?

tiemco 200 has a pretty sharp bend to get a bead around and is a ****** hook anyway

http://flyfoundry.com/fly-tying-tutorials-tips-techniques/is-there-such-a-thing-as-an-ideal-hook/

try a different curved hook

comprehensive bead chart

http://flymenfishingcompany.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Flymen-Hook-Bead-Compatability-Guide_v2.01.pdf

comprehensive hook chart

https://app.box.com/s/01db9ea439c7fbd59b55

i just tie them on straight hooks (just add a bead)

brassie.jpg

white_winged_brassie.jpg

You don't have to use beads, despite the current trend on their use.
Since you already have the hooks , use a few wraps of lead wire in the thorax area in place of the bead and cover while wrapping the fly.

I will probably use the wire weight for these hooks so I can use them up. I have been trying to tie them both ways. I may try bending the barb back too. Thanks everyone for the help.

Try slotted beads from a distributor on this site (see banner above -starts with "A" and ends with "llen")

Charlie try using tungsten thread. It's like lead wire but a lot heavier and also thinner and you can shape the body appropriatly.

Thanks I will have to try that thread.

tungsten thread is like wrapping a guitar string around the shank and is quite springy

I don't recommend it

nfrechet described tungsten "thread" well. It is not thread as we know it, it's wire. Why the manufacture call this thread is beyond me.

I use it on small flies, size 18 and smaller along with/without tungsten beads to produce small anchor flies. It comes in fine and x-fine, adds weight and allows for a slender body vs. lead wire

It does take time getting used to wrapping the wire. I cut off a piece, tie it in near the bend and use a small hackle plier to wrap it around the shank. Tried it on a bobbin, didn't like it.

if tying larger flies and you want to weight said fly, suggest using lead wire.

Dale

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I have had a lot of issues at work lately, along with a class that is sucking the life out of me, and some family stuff, so I have not had a chance to try anything else. As soon as I do I will let you all know how it went. I will probably just get some thin lead wire for now and later on get slotted beads.

All I can say is that certain hooks require a certain size bead, some larger beads fit the smaller ones will not. I don't a lot of bead heads so take it with a grain of salt. It's the hole sizes that differ of the beads that causes a bead to fit or not. Pinch the barbs.

Back