Hook Preference

B

bam

Few things here.... I've decided to buy bulk hooks by the 100s in a few different styles. It seems like everytime I sit down to tie, I'm missing or running low on something and it's always hooks or beads and it's always too late to run to the shop. Hopefully this will take care of the problem.

So first off, what's everyone's preferred hook manufacturer and if you order hooks on-line in bulk, what website do you use? I use cheaper hooks for a few of my ties, but really like tying on daiichi's or tiemco's. For those of you that tie on scud hooks in 16 and smaller, do you use a down-turned eye ro straight... heavy or standard wire? I think a straight eye on these hooks might allow for a better hook-set leaving a bigger gap between the eye and the hook point, especially if using beads.

Speaking of beads, I'm also looking for some. Just the standard brass ones in various colors and sizes. Most beads I use seem to be too round. I've used and much prefer to tie my nymphs using beads that seem to be cut in half with a larger open back half... if that makes sense. Anyone know where I can get em? If I was more organized and actually wrote things down, this wouldn't be a problem

I posted this link a bunch of times. I buy many of my hooks and beads in bulk from here, and I've received PMs thanking me from several on the board that tried them and like them. The hooks are TMC clones at half the price. They look and perform like TMC hooks and the claim is they are made by TMC. Shipping is reasonable (and free for orders >$50) and service is great. Give them a try:

http://thefishguy.com/hooks.htm

I have had great service here for beads and hooks. Fast shipping.

http://shop.ebay.com/britebeads/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

I had someone buy me hooks from The Fish Guy recently. I couldn't be happier with the hooks, the quality and the price.

Outside of emergencies, I suspect that he'll get all of my hook business going forward.

Thanks for the link afish. I might just have to place an order and give em a try

I've used this guy on Ebay a handfull of times and have had nothing but great service. He had the hooks I orded once on backorder and threw in some extras for the 1 week turnaround. I know several other guys on this site have used him too.

http://shop.ebay.com/gypsyflyrods/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

I like dia riki and if I was going to order in bulk I would order directly from dan bailey.

bam,

The beads I've bought are as you say, kind of flattened with a bigger opening on one side than the other. I thought that was standard but don't pretend to be all that knowledgable on the subject. FWIW, I bought all mine at flyfishersparadise in State College. The website has a few good articles about beads.

It is here.

Use the drop-down menu to find those particular articles.

They do an excellent mail-order business and are good with helping people who don't know exactly what they want. Give em a call and explain what you're trying to tie, and they'll help you out.

Thought about this one for a while...I try and buy barbless hooks when and where I can; I guess you could say I like to give the fish as much of an advantage as possible. As far as brands go heres some of what's in my hook tote right now.
Grip-11013bl's
Eagle claw-LO59s
Mustad-94840
Daiichi-1190Galic supreme dry fly
partridge

I actually use mostly mustad's as my standard hook, of course there are specialty hooks and those vary. The reason is that I'm a cheap bastard and I like their packaging.

I have pretty much switched to TMC but still have a few Mustads lingering in my hook drawer. I just refilled with an order from J. Stockard and found out about thefishguy.com the day after I placed the order! I'll definitely give him a try next time.

In reference to "hook preference" has anyone had any particular hook be stronger or weaker in comparison to others. I have had no real issues with my dai riki's, but when I de-barb them the barb just snaps off with ease so that it sometimes worries me.

Anything but mustad. They are shaped so that they won't take a bead or cone head.

JayL my 3906B's and C49 (I believe) both take beads fine. I think they are phasing out the 3906B's and only selling the signature series now. I have had trouble getting the coneheads on Mustad streamer hooks though. I have switched to TMC for my curved caddis nymph hooks now.
RY, I switched because I had the Mustad C49 and the Dairiki hooks bend on me on steelhead a few times and I have not had that problem with the TMC heavy wire hooks. A word of warning though, they are a bit more pricey.

Reds,

Most of my bad experience is with their streamer hooks, but I've had a few of their others break. I'll give the ones you've mentioned a try if I see em.

For the most part, Afish's link is my new source. I like "Tie 'em Co" hooks. :lol:

Thanks for the advice guys. I placed an order for basic nymph and dry fly hooks from the fly guy, as well as a pack of beads. If the beads are the style I'm looking for, I'll probably be dropping another 50 there. I held off on their scud hooks since I noted they're 1x fine. They'd be good for emergers, but most of my patterns where I'm using curved hooks are fished deep and I like the extra security of a standard or heavy wire hook.

Not a fan of the da-riki's. The last couple packs I got had more than a couple deformed hooks.

Back