Hook Orientation

jifigz

jifigz

I want to tie/invent a new crayfish pattern to put to the test on some "warm water" streams and rivers in the next several months and have a good idea of what I want the pattern to be like and made of. I want to know, however, what ways are available to cause my hook point to ride up instead of down Other than tying in some dumbbell style eyes onto the shank? As a rather inexperienced person behind the vice dumbbell eyes are the only way that I'm aware of, so I'm hoping someone can give me a good tip for this. Thanks.

http://www.allenflyfishing.com/j200-jig-streamer/

These jig streamer hooks would work with a tungsten cone or possibly a big tungsten bead. Most flies I've seen tied using these have the cone on the straight part of the shank with a few thread wraps in front of the cone to prevent it from trying to go down over the bend in the front.

Another thing I've seen carp tyers do is use a large scud hook, and tie in a big heavy bead in front, then tie I'm some bead chain eyes a little behind the bead to sort of make the fly stand up on the bead and the bead chain eyes. Never tried it myself, but it looks pretty cool. The "trouser worm" carp fly is an example. Still calls for eyes tied across the shank, so maybe that's not quite what you're looking for.

Trouse_Worm_2.jpg

jifigz wrote:
I want to tie/invent a new crayfish pattern to put to the test on some "warm water" streams and rivers in the next several months and have a good idea of what I want the pattern to be like and made of. I want to know, however, what ways are available to cause my hook point to ride up instead of down Other than tying in some dumbbell style eyes onto the shank? As a rather inexperienced person behind the vice dumbbell eyes are the only way that I'm aware of, so I'm hoping someone can give me a good tip for this. Thanks.

Use a curved hook aka scud hook. Weight the shank with lead or lead substitute wire. This will cause the hook to ride hook point up since the weight is offset from centerline of the hook.

Thanks for the tips Jeremy and Afish....I will definitely get some larger "scud" hook a try and see if that works.

tie on a bend back style hook, no lead needed

sandfly wrote:
tie on a bend back style hook, no lead needed

I'm unfamiliar with that book style so I'll give them a look. I do want a fair amount of weight to get the crayfish into the depths though, so the weight isn't a bad thing. I will try to tie the pattern with dumbbell eyes, but I'd like to craft it without them too.

Myself and a friend use jig heads that are specific for fly tying. This allows extra space at the head to tie in that bulky tail and will ride the hook up.

I've seen people make a "keel" by threading beads onto a piece of mono and then tying that so the hook rides point up. I would think you could lash it down and tie over top of it so it wouldn't be visible as well.

Back