Hook info

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
The article and video in the link below delves into the complicated subject of the differences as well as the pros and cons of tying and fishing all types of hooks. Even the most seasoned flytyer/FFer is sure to learn something new from the video.

https://www.flyfisherman.com/editorial/Making-Sense-of-Hooks/383617

very useful. Thanks

When I began fly tying, I was stupid enough to think that it mattered so I bought the hooks specified in the recipe. As a result, I ended up with boxes & boxes of different hook styles.

I tie flies to catch fish with, not put on display or sell as art so many years ago I did my research and consolidated my hook choices down to handful of types/styles and brands (Daiichi & Tiemco). I stick to those hook models & brands for everything, regardless of the recipe.

I won’t go into the specifics unless someone asks, but now I have a standard straight shank dry fly hook, a couple of standard straight shank nymph hooks, standard midge hooks in straight & curved shanks, scud hooks and streamer hooks in a couple different styles.

Even that may sound like a lot, but some of the variety has to do with brands not being available in all the sizes I want. However, the bottom line is; I never worry about not having the right hook anymore.

i tend to use eagle claw,Mustad,gaelic supreme , partridge and pflueger hooks. i do not like to use junky hooks.

BUT, my wife ties on Tiemco and Daiichi for certain flies. they're certainly no Mustads, but,they're not bad.

i think whether you use classic hooks or asian hooks,you can learn something from the video for sure.

shakey wrote:
i tend to use eagle claw,Mustad,gaelic supreme , partridge and pflueger hooks. i do not like to use junky hooks.

BUT, my wife ties on Tiemco and Daiichi for certain flies. they're certainly no Mustads, but,they're not bad.

i think whether you use classic hooks or asian hooks,you can learn something from the video for sure.

I'm confused by this? Are you saying that you think Mustads are superior to Tiemco and Diaichi?

Personally, I believe that both Tiemco and Diaichi are far superior to Mustad in general. They are certainly much sharper out of the box than Mustads of yesteryear. Even when compared to current Mustad hooks, the Japanese brands are superior. I'm not alone. From what I've seen this is the consensus in the fly tying world. That's not to say I don't buy and use Mustad. Most styles are fine and only need a touch up with a sharpening stone. Also, FWIW, modern Mustad hooks are "Asian" hooks if I am not mistaken.

PennKev wrote:
shakey wrote:

I'm confused by this? Are you saying that you think Mustads are superior to Tiemco and Diaichi?

Personally, I believe that both Tiemco and Diaichi are far superior to Mustad in general. They are certainly much sharper out of the box than Mustads of yesteryear. Even when compared to current Mustad hooks, the Japanese brands are superior. I'm not alone. From what I've seen this is the consensus in the fly tying world. That's not to say I don't buy and use Mustad. Most styles are fine and only need a touch up with a sharpening stone. Also, FWIW, modern Mustad hooks are "Asian" hooks if I am not mistaken.

The purpose of the video is to discuss many of the different types of hooks out there and not specific brands of hooks. But I agree with PennKev on the big two Japanese hook manufacturers (Tiemco and Diaichi) producing hooks that are superior to Mustad. Back-in-the-day I tied on Mustad and even have some left, but long ago I moved on. There are some off brand hooks (usuallly made by the aforementioned manufacturers) that are quality choices, but beware of most off-name brands.

In the video, towards the end he mentioned hooks are the least expensive thing used by FFers so don't skimp to save a nickel or dime a hook. I agree and will not waste all my valuable time and effort tying flies on hooks that are dull or are not tempered properly and straighten out or break easily. If you tie for a while you will begin to recognize which hooks work well for your tying and fishing and will lock in on the best styles and brands to purchase and stock.

oops!

i see that is poor wording on my part.

i LIKE daiiichi and Tiemco.i even have used Dai-Riki. i am familiar with them because my wife prefers them.

what i meant by asian hooks,was a reference to cheap hooks like the kind people buy off wish and ali-baba, that they re-brand .

i was given several hundred of these for a project,and they were awful. they weren't even tempered.

basically,i was trying to agree with the video,that you shouldn't try to save money at that spot,cutting corners on hooks.

whereas i do still use eagle claw,mustad and gaelic supreme,etc, i think the japanese brands are good hooks.

i am sure they could make great hooks in china too,but,they're not going to sell them cheaply.

i also realize that at some point, the classic hooks are going to be hard to get. there are many collectors who hoard the mustads

shakey wrote:
oops!

i see that is poor wording on my part.

i LIKE daiiichi and Tiemco.i even have used Dai-Riki. i am familiar with them because my wife prefers them.

what i meant by asian hooks,was a reference to cheap hooks like the kind people buy off wish and ali-baba, that they re-brand .

i was given several hundred of these for a project,and they were awful. they weren't even tempered.

basically,i was trying to agree with the video,that you shouldn't try to save money at that spot,cutting corners on hooks.

whereas i do still use eagle claw,mustad and gaelic supreme,etc, i think the japanese brands are good hooks.

i am sure they could make great hooks in china too,but,they're not going to sell them cheaply.

Not that it all matters since most things bought in the US are imported and mostly from Asia, but I looked it up and came up with this >

The company (Mustad) owns a wire mill in Norway and sends its output to Wuxi, China, where it owns the world’s largest fish hook manufacturing facility.

Link to source > https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/biz-monday/article5722749.html

Back