Hook eye ??

T

tracker12

Can someone explain to me the usages of the different hook eyed. Down turned straight up turned.

I'll give it a shot. I prefer straight eyed hooks. I use them for all my flies. Drys, nymphs, soft hackles, streamers, woolly buggers, bait fish patterns, poppers, sliders etc. Down eyed hooks can be used for all of the same patterns. My theory on that is that they are "traditional" going back to the days when flies were snelled. Upturned eyes I associate with salmon fly hooks, not sure why they were developed with the up turned eye, but they can be used for dries, wet flies and streamers. Hope this helps a bit.

Many decades ago when there were few hook choices, my friends and I tried up-turned eye hooks for fishing tricos and midges because the hook gap was so small on Mustad hooks. We soon realized we were missing a lot of fish because of the up-turned eyes. Can't think of a good reason to fish them.

http://flyanglersonline.com/articles/readerscast/2010/readerscast20100308_stevenmcgarthwaite.php

I prefer down eye hooks for drys and wets, even nymphs. For classic style high riding drys it seems more natural that the down eye would place your tippet on the water at a better angle. Also straight eye hooks are not good for parachute IMO. It makes it difficult to tie on it places the hackle in the way of tying your knot.
I do like ring eye hooks for streamers, poppers and such. I mostly tie these types of flys on with a loop knot. Gives the fly better action especially on clauser type flys or any fly with a weighted head.
Weighted head flys will sink faster with a loop knot as well as have a better jigging motion.

GenCon

Back