hook brands

F

flyfisherkshcrk

Was wondering what types of hooks you guys use? I have been using dai-riki hooks and have not had any bad expiriences. But at about $11 for every 100, is it worth spending a few extra dollars to buy daiichi or tiemco hooks? Is there any other brands I can buy that are cheaper and are quality? Flyfishers paradise in state college sells their daiichi dry fly hooks for about $15 for a 100, and their daiichi wet fly and nymph hooks for about $16.50. Pretty reasonable compared to the prices I have seen at other fly shops and online. At 5 or 6 dollars more, buying the daiichi 100 packs sound reasonable, but wanting to buy different styles and sizes, things can add up fast.

It's a great debate , I like Dai Riki 125 hooks for almost everything, I can get 100 for 6$ , if I'm fishing locally and the size fish are 11 to 16in no problem . But I don't wanna take them on the Delaware for fear they will be broken by fish . So I just buy all quality hooks now and I don't worry about it . Yes it's expensive, but it's worth my own peace of mind .Had a friend break multiple fly shack hooks on the Delaware....terrible for him , hilarious for me .

Where do you get you dai-rikis? I haven't seen them that cheap.

Ive used Allen for years, and never had an issue. Ive had a couple get bent when snagged on a tree and I wrenched on them to get them out, but im Upgrading to Daiichi for nymphs, and Gomakatsu and Partridge for streamers. Just feels like that time to use nothing but the best.

If Gomakatsu offered a 2xl nymph hook they would be the only hooks I use.

That's where I have got them before. Just not $6 for 100

Sorry about that ,I was wrong , it's a 50 pack not 100 . But I do get them at Blue Quill. I also agree while only lately playing with the Allen hooks , they seem pretty stout .

Daiichi or Tiemco. Never had a problem with either but I have had problems with cheapies from other other companies. Nothing like tying up 4-5 dozen flies and realize the hooks are crap. Only one time did I go for value and I definitely regretted it.

Depends on what I'm tying. Mostly Tiemco and Partridge for trout. Warm water/Salt Water. Gamakatsu, Eagle Claw, Owner, Varivas, Tiemco.

i like eagle claw,followed by mustad followed by partridge .
TMC brings in the rear. tried gaelic supreme,they were ok.
there is a barbless hook from allen i am interested in,but have not tried yet.

the "fly shop" brand

http://catalog.theflyshop.com/fly-tying/hooks/the-fly-shop/

$1.75 for 25 hooks (most styles) isnt bad and neither are their hooks

nfrechet wrote:
the "fly shop" brand

http://catalog.theflyshop.com/fly-tying/hooks/the-fly-shop/

$1.75 for 25 hooks (most styles) isnt bad and neither are their hooks

$6.45 for 100. You havn't had any issues with the hooks? I may have to give them a shot as I need some more hooks.

Back