Hollow-hair downwing

linwood

linwood

Started tying some Elk/Deer Hair Caddis. After the first dozen, things are going pretty well. As long as I pay attention to proportions, such as body length and diameter, hackle length, and hair wing length, the finished fly looks right.

However, no matter how closely I pay attention, sometimes a few and sometimes a lot of downwing hairs are rotating down the backside of the fly. Many sources instruct to "slip your index finger forward as a backstop to prevent the hair from rolling around the hook shank".

That's not happening so far. Any and all input on this issue would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

linwood, here is how I do it. 1st make sure hair is aligned directly on top of hook. Hold tightly. Do 2 soft wraps around hair then pull straight down. Continue to hold tight. The 3 0r 4 more wraps as tight as you can make them with out breaking thread. Then do 3 or 4 wraps under and against wing. Only then can you release pressure.
It will take some practice. When done right wing will sit on top of hook. See pic.

GenCon

Attachments

• EHC.jpg
    EHC.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 2
Thank you GenCon.
By 3 or 4 wraps under and against wing, do you mean at the front of the hook? Between the hook eye and the hair?

linwood, yes but not until you have the wing secured. Then wrap under and back against wing. Do not let go of wing until you have it wrapped on top and in front.
Hope this helps.

GenCon

Here's a video of Hans Weilenmann tying his CDC & Elk. Check out his technique for tying a deer hair caddis wing.

Afishinado, that is a great vid. Hans is one of my favorite tyers. I have watched many of his vids.

GenCon

Thanks you, afishinado, for the Weilenmann vidio. And thank you, GenCon, for your help. I am now attaching the deer hair without much problem. Paying attention to the details, along with a bit more patience has helped. Also, I'm using a smaller bunch of deer hair. I think I had been trying to attach too much before.

Thanks again.
linwood

Back