Hole in the Head

just_jon

just_jon

I caught this guy this morning on Beaver Creek in the Shenandoah valley. Because of the heavy tree canopy, I’m thinking injury may have been caused by a blue heron. He was a bit thinner than his buddies I caught, but otherwise seemed healthy and put up a good fight.

Attachments

• 028B7B44-6FE0-4C5A-B128-F1CF4B85F8E5.jpeg
    028B7B44-6FE0-4C5A-B128-F1CF4B85F8E5.jpeg
    15 KB · Views: 8
Close up.

Attachments

• FF99E305-5EC7-4075-8626-F3C27011ED9E.jpeg
    FF99E305-5EC7-4075-8626-F3C27011ED9E.jpeg
    17 KB · Views: 5
I have also caught fish with holes like the one on your trout. I, too, believe they are caused by herons stabbing them.

Agree with rrt - likely a heron, although other predators -think mink or snapping turtle - could inflict something like this. Perhaps the wound may also have expanded due to infection(?). Older wild trout with healed over scars from this sort of thing are common and I usually assume, if the scar is near the dorsal, that it's an old heron wound.

just-jon:
I like your dog photos but that avatar pic is just gorgeous.

I've caught in Montana with very deep holes in their backs from heron stabs. It's amazing the fish can survive.

Yet we still argue over taking a fish out of the water to take a picture...

I see Herons about every time out. I know they're tough on frogs.

I caught a big native a number of years ago that had a chunk taken out almost identical to yours. They are survivors.

Heron related,

I have a large semi-mowed field near my house. I've seen heron in the field presumably stalking small rodents. A YouTube search on the matter confirms that heron do indeed eat mammals.

That's all I got. Carry on.

I saw a Great Blue Heron catch and swallow a chipmunk once.

Back