Hodgman Waders

rpdelaney

rpdelaney

Does anyone have an opinion on Hodgman waders? I need waders - would it be worth it to spend extra $ on Simms or another brand or can I get away with a cheaper pair from Hodgman?

Dear RP,

It's anybodies guess as to how long a pair of waders will last. I've heard good stories and bad stories about both cheap and expensive waders.

If you do a lot of brush busting and crawling around there are two schools of though for waders. One is to get the absolute best waders you can afford, the other is to get the cheapest waders you can find and treat them as a disposable item.

If you buy $ 400.00 waders and they last 4 years or if you buy $ 100.00 waders every year you are still spending the same amount of money, right?

I've had great luck with mid-priced Orvis breathable waders and most people think they are awful. I got 7 or 8 years out of a pair of Clearwaters and replaced them with Silver Labels on close-out and they are holding up well too. I take great care of my waders and I try to avoid the stickers and brambles that many people charge right though.

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

I had a pair of Hodgmans for a few years and they were great. They met their demise when I slipped on a large rock and went knee first in to a sharp ledge in the streambed. I don't blame them for it.

Tim hit the nail on the head with his analysis of expensive and long lasting vs cheap and "disposable". It's your choice. I tend to think there is an advantage in "cheap and disposable" because you get the added pleasure of getting any new features, designs, etc that may come out over the seasons when you get your new pair.

RP,

I had the bottom of the line Hodgman breathables as my first ever pair of breathables. I bought them in March 2006 and they started leaking in May 2007, but I probably had 60 to 75 outings in them. I think outings are a better measure of durability than calander time because some guys just don't get out all that much (of course their waders are gonna last for years!).

I was not disappointed in my Hodgmans. See this thread link for info on my new pair of Toggs.

I have a pair of Hodgman's neoprene stocking foots and a pair of their regular lightweight, stocking foots. The "Neo's" are for cold water streams and winter steelheading and I also use them on cold days for digging clams down on the beach.
The clam digging, I think, actually puts the waders to a better test than their stream use, due to being subjected to salt water, sand, sharp shell fragments and sharp rocks.
Of course, after every use, I rinse them very well with fresh water and my current pair,(they're 3mm), are over 4 years old and still going strong! I've had to patch them a few times, but that's another nice thing with the Hodgman's...............they patch easily and the patches seem to hold.
However, I haven't been too impressed with my lightweights!?! It's probably just ME, but I don't care for the way they "fit" and they're not as "breathable" to me, as claimed.
I finally turned in my pop cans and bought a pair of Ghillie's, and a pair of Fishpond's bearthables. Both, of these waders are extrememly tough to abrasions and tears, have several really nice features other brands don't and are far, far, superior to anything I've owned for comfort, fit and true beathablity.
As for the "cheap and disposable factor". I fish often enough that I don't want the "disposable factor" to happen suddenly, when I'm mid-stream, or 300 miles away, and on the first day of a trip!

I've heard good things about hodgeman waders, especially the bang for the buck. I do agree though, you need to think about what kind of fishing you do and how much fishing you do. If you are walking through a lot of brush and on rocks, etc, you might want a pair that has 3 or more layers in the knees.

Personally, I have 2 pair. Orvis Silver Labels for summer/warmer because they're lighter and my go to boots are the LL Bean Westbranch Waders. These have 4 layers in the knees and in the butt and are solid boots. Perfect for the mountainous fishing I do and warmer in the winter. The unconditional lifetime guarantee of LL Bean is tough to beat as well.

Breathables have come a long way, so anything you get within reason should be a decent purchase. :-D

Thanks for the advice everyone

My fishing bud had a pair of Hodgman. After 3 years or so of just a few times per year usage they literally "fell apart". The inside delaminated in lots of little pieces. He would not buy another pair.

My mid priced Orvis waders started leaking in the neoprene bootie. I sealed it a few times then sent them to Orvis for their lifetime guarantee. I had a check in the mail within four days. That sealed it for me, I went with the Orvis. Except I do have a pair of hodgman neoprenes that I wear once or twice a year in cold weather.

I had a Guide Series Waders (made by Hodgeman) and I hated them. Had to buy a new pair every few months (actually exchanged them for a new pair). I use my waders hard not just for fishing but also for electrofishing a few times a year. I finally upgraded to the 300 dollar orvis waders and haven't had a problem yet. I think thier worth the money but it all depends on how you use them and how often.

For those interested, Orvis is having a sale on waders. My buddy has the guide series and loves them.

I had the Clearwater Series a few years ago and had problems with them. I upgraded to Silver Labels and they've held up pretty well. I had some leakage in the neoprene boot foot and sealed it with Aquaseal. They're not my backup pair of boots and also warmer weather boots.

My only complaint about the Westbranch waders from LL Bean is the neoprene shoulders on the suspenders get VERY warm when you're hiking. I remedied this by getting a set of suspenders from the Orvis Guide Series boots and attaching them. MUCH cooler :cool:

Back