Hodgeman Hip Waders

MD_Gene

MD_Gene

There was some discussion awhile back about hip waders. I bought the Hodgeman. Terrible idea. The pictures I have are too big for me to include and I am too lazy. The circumference of the top of the wader is 32 inches. Until just recently that would have fit around my waist. :-( The problem with them is that the edge hangs way down (away from the strap side) and your exposed to water about 10 inches lower than you thought. To try and save them functionally I installed grommets and “suspenders”. Two suspenders with clips on each wader. Looks tacky but it works.

Gene -

After wearing boot foot hip waders for years, I bought a pair of stocking foots.
And have been using them on small streams this year.
A lot more comfortable for sure

I can recommend Frogg Toggs stocking foot hip boots. I own a pair and use them for small mountain streams. Much better than ANY boot foot hip boots.

I will second the Frogg Toggs, most of my fishing is on small streams with lots of brush and briars streamside. I am rough on waders and usually need a new pair every year. With the Frogg Toggs I am now on my third year with them and they didn't break the back to buy them either.

I agree. The boot foot waders are not nearly as comfortable as the stocking foot especially for long days on the stream. BUT, my 8.5 foot rod is rigged and stored in the garage. I can be stream side in my boot foot waders fishing for wild browns in 11 minutes. Every second counts ;-)

Aw c'mon Gene.
You're retired, and have all the time in the world now

I too liked the ease of putting boot foot waders on and off.
That's why I wore them for a long time.

However, it takes what - maybe an extra 3 minutes or so to put on and lace up a pair or wading boots?
The extra comfort is worth the small time loss IMO

Bootfoot waders and hippers lack the cooling effect of the stream. May not be what you want in Summer.

I agree. I just fished with them this afternoon. I don't think that they are as safe as stocking foot waders because unless they fit like a glove your foot moves around and your traction isn't as sound. I will probably go with the Troggs described here.

It's strange, the creek, even when running low like this time of year is still pretty high for hip waders.

Back