Hitting the beaches

E

edhank

For yinz that hit the beaches in the fall, for the fall migration of stripers, do you explore with spinning tackle and once fish are found, go after them with fly tackle? Or do you strictly fly fish?

I hit IBSP yesterday at the end near Barneget Inlet and fished about two hours. I find fishing the surf very frustrating. Vastness everywhere. I checked out Betty and Nicks web site this morning and discovered fish were caught near area 7. I was at area 23. Does the area make that much of a difference?

I am thinking of exploring with spin surf tackle might be the way to go. Thoughts/advice?

edhank wrote:
I am thinking of exploring with spin surf tackle might be the way to go. Thoughts/advice?

By all means, do it.

I always take spin gear to the surf, although I am usually FFing. I live four hours away and there are days at the beach that are simply too windy to FF and I'll use spin gear on those days.

However, prospecting with spin gear is also a good idea to locate fish (and sometimes reach them if they are blitzing beyond the bar). At IBSP you can drive from point to point, explore with spin gear, and break out the fly rod if you care to.

There is simply no way to predict where the fish will show up. There have been countless times I've been skunked at IBSP, only to hear later about crazy action at other areas. It's frustrating, but it's just luck. Keep at the game and you will find fish eventually.

Being new to the surf game, spin gear will help your confidence since, as you noted, it seems vast and getting a feel for the surf game can come slowly to folks used to trout streams.

If you're spin fishing, use those Clouser Minnow flies as "teasers" when you are fishing lures. You will catch fish on them pretty consistently (esp. if sand eels are present) and this will further your confidence in flies.

Dave,
My knowledge of beach casting to stripers is zero, but I am curious about your comment of using clousers with a spinning rod. Do you use alot of weight and a swivel? I've never really tried this just wondering.

ryansheehan wrote:
Dave,
My knowledge of beach casting to stripers is zero, but I am curious about your comment of using clousers with a spinning rod. Do you use alot of weight and a swivel? I've never really tried this just wondering.

It's a two lure dropper set-up.

Surf spin fishers often put a "teaser" about 2' above a heavier lure, typically a swimming plug, or lead-headed soft plastic. Teasers can be purchased, often they are slender soft plastics about the diameter of a pencil. Because the main lure provides the weight to cast, teasers are usually weightless.

In my opinion, flies are much superior to soft plastic teasers. I've had days when the smaller teaser fly caught many fish that seemed uninterested in the main lure. Again, this is usually when bass are keyed on sand eels.

It's fun to show other spin guys on the beach whose plugs and jigs aren't working, that a "fly" above the lure is getting bit. Most of them know about teasers, but they are often amazed how well they catch fish (I have plenty of flies so usually hand some out as freebies to spin guys). Some spin surf fishermen are incredulous that bass and blues will eat such small flies. When they try a fly as a teaser, it will make believers out of 'em.

Thanks Dave_W for the reply. My preferred method would be on the fly, but the darned wind and wave action are buggers to deal with when fishing the surf with a fly rod. Friday, I got on the water at about 9am, and the wave action wasn't too bad. By 1030 or so, there were what I perceived to be white caps on the water, and the waves were crashing pretty good. It was frustrating.

So I have been going back and forth on with surf spin rod to get. I have TFO on the mind. I am thinking the 9' medium action rod. My friend thinks I should get a heaver 10 1/2' rod that I could "dead stick" with, whatever that means. Could you offer some advice on that?

What sort of fly gear are you using? If you were fishing a floating line in rolling surf, you're bound to be frustrated. You need a sinking line to fish surf. I prefer a fast sink shooting head. You also need a stripping basket.
Nevertheless, even with these, there are days when it's just too windy and rough at the beach for FFing.

Get the 9' med action spin rod and match it to a reel that will hold 15o yds of #20 mono. This will be ideal for fishing lures and can handle big fish.

"Dead sticking" simply means fishing bait. You cast out a bottom rig with bait and put your rod in a tube spike rod holder (you probably saw a lot of guys doing this at IBSP). This sort of bait fishing often involves heavy lead sinkers and longer, heavier rods are preferred. You can fish this method with a 9' if you want to. Personally, I'd get something that throws lures well and use this as a backup for your fly rod.

Intermediate line on a 9wt. Later on, I did switch to some sort of faster sinking line and it did seem to help. I was using a stripping basket.

Thanks for all the info Dave. It is greatly appreciated.

edhank wrote:
For yinz that hit the beaches in the fall, for the fall migration of stripers, do you explore with spinning tackle and once fish are found, go after them with fly tackle? Or do you strictly fly fish?

I hit IBSP yesterday at the end near Barneget Inlet and fished about two hours. I find fishing the surf very frustrating. Vastness everywhere. I checked out Betty and Nicks web site this morning and discovered fish were caught near area 7. I was at area 23. Does the area make that much of a difference?

I spent my Saturday helping a bunch of anglers get started with a surf FFing class at IBSP. We stayed in one area for the class and really didn't catch a lot (a few schoolie stripers and sundials) but we all had fun. The wind was fairly light and from the west, making casting a "breeze", if you will.

The surf is vast, but fishing is fishing. I suggest approach surf fishing the same as any other types of fishing; accumulate and use all the knowledge you can.

Think of fishing the surf like fishing a trout stream or river. Read the water, focus on high probability spots, change up techniques, rigs and flies, match the hatch or forage, etc.

Below I embedded a great video on how to read the surf to get you started on reading the water:

During the prime time at the beach with ideal water temps and "the run" happening, it is possible to get into into fish if you work at it, or not...that's fishing. A "slow pick" is not much different in a trout stream working the water nymphing as it is in surf when working prime spots along the beach. The same for when a hatch suddenly erupts on a trout river or a blitz appears at the beach. Be prepared to fish in whatever conditions you find happening at the time.

Fishing is fishing as far as reports go too. Because we now live in a time of instant gratification; if you hear a report about a blitz off the beach, stocking at the bridge hole, or a blizzard hatch on a stream; a flash mob is likely to appear to cash in and slay'um. I read reports for quite the opposite reason; if there's a report of a bliz, or stocking, or blizzard hatch; I know what places to avoid.

As far as spin fishing, I don't own a spin rod, so I may be the wrong person to ask. The one thing I can tell you, if you grab your spin rod every time the wind is up, or down, or the fish are too deep, too shallow, or the water's too cold, too warm, too clear, too muddy, too weedy....blah, blah, blah....you will never really learn how to fly-fish. And more important, at least to me, you will never get the sense of satisfaction of putting together one more piece of the vast and complex puzzle which is our great sport.

If you can get past the idea, the object of the sport is to catch as many fish and biggest fish you can each time out, you will get a lot more satisfaction from your time spent on the water fly-fishing.

Just go with the flow, try to learn something each time out, and be sure to enjoy yourself.

Back