Hitting strike indicator

P

pinecroftal

I was fishing the Little J yesterday,it was a good day but a little puzzling. I was nymph fishing using strike putty for my indicator in green.I had at least 5 fish try to take my indicator.I tried a Green Weenie as my top fly with no luck,then went to a inchworm the same size on top .No way they would not touch it.If I felt it wasnt cheating i would have put it on a hook,lol.I did catch a decent number of fish,but what the heck.

I've had fish hit my strike indicator before and it always makes me laugh. I saw somewhere once where you could buy a strike indicator with a hook in it. No way I could bring myself to actually use it though.

Ever hopper dropper? Then you've done it.

Maurice wrote:
Yup first indicator take and I'm probably going terrestrial with a dropper. I had a brown on spring take an indicator and not let go for two or three seconds, it was really something to see.

Maurice wrote:

I meant to switch to a thingamabobber with a hook. Dry dropper sure,green weenie Sure! But the thingamabobber with a hook is where I draw the line

Happened to me more than once. Abut two months ago I was fishing a run on Kish and a nice fish came up and hit my indicator. Did it a few times so I switched to a bigger dry attractor. No luck. Moved on. Came back to the same run later, and the damn thing hit the indicator two more times. Crazy.

If you put a tippit ring by the eye of the hopper and feed your line through as you would a thing a ma bobber you can easily a just your hopper dropper! Works great on rookie streams too!

Jessed, that sounds like a great idea, but I'm not sure exactly how you're doing it... where do you put the knots, if any? or are you just snugging up loops?

Yea Jessed - that sounds like an awesome idea and I am also quite curious to hear more about it.

Just use a dry fly for your indicator. The possibilities of a double hook up brings a smile to my face.

I put 4x on the hopper and put the tippit ring to the eye of the hook as close as i can get . That way it has more movement in riffles and fast water! And instead of tying a knot on the tippit ring you would make the thingamabobber loop and you can adjust it!

Several years ago I was fishing Valley Creek in Malvern with a dropper - dry rig. I had two fish on and landed both. Then I had the land owner tell me I was on posted land. Quite an interesting day.

Back