High water and trout spawning

bigjohn58

bigjohn58

Does high water levels like we have now really effect how well the trout spawn and how successful it will be? I can't see how flood level waters can be a good thing for the spawning trout. I'm sure this has been discussed but I just wondered how big of an impact it has. I know it has my fishing plans for next week kind of messed up but I might be able to hit up some smaller streams.

It may indeed have a high impact, I've heard from a couple of wild trout fanatics that they think spawning is being impacted.

Here's something I found on the topic;
"Rainbow trout invasion success was best explained by a match between timing of fry emergence and months of low flood probability."
from: FLOOD DISTURBANCE REGIMES INFLUENCE RAINBOW TROUT INVASION SUCCESS AMONG FIVE HOLARCTIC REGIONS
Kurt D. Fausch,a Yoshinori Taniguchi,b Shigeru Nakano,c Gary D. Grossman,d and Colin R. Townsende

Native Fish Can Survive the Floods - If Human Impact Isn't Too Pervasive
01-23-06
"Steelhead and other native fish have had thousands of years to adapt to flooding," said Gregory, a professor of fisheries and wildlife in OSU's College of Agricultural Sciences. "Not only can they survive, floods usually improve the habitat by scouring out river bottoms, creating new pools and cleaning out the silt."

By Mark Floyd, 541-737-0788
Source: Stan Gregory, 541-737-1951

And this from PFBC;
As Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission biologist Dick Snyder points out, a flood is a natural event and Mother Nature equips her charges to deal with that which comes their way. According to Snyder, high waters may alter aquatic habitat and place stress on fishes, but for the most part the effects are short-term. As the Commission’s Chief of the Division of Fisheries Management, Snyder has witnessed plenty of streams spill over their banks and he has also seen fish populations adapt.

“To a fish, a flood feels much like walking up an alley during a strong windstorm feels to us. And fish react in pretty much the same manner we do; just like we’ll duck into a doorway to get out of the wind, fish will seek out those areas where the force of the water isn’t as great,” said Snyder.
My question is does he know this is true or is he speculating that it is true?

This from TU
http://www.brookie.org/site/pp.asp?c=liKVL3POLvF&b=1656675

From the Czeck Republic;
http://www.springerlink.com/content/hx6704183382170v/

From NH; And this is in relation to brook trout and the aftermath of human activity related to the floods.
http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Fishing/Fishing_Reports/Fishing_Reports_2006/fishing_report_091406.htm

I don't think we know enough about this topic in PA and it is clear to me we need to know in order to protect our wild trout.

I know once they hatch the fish find those places that do not have as much current such as behing large boulders and whatnot but like the eggs and reeds like how well do they hold up during these high water conditions?

John,

Probably the two biggest factors regarding unsuccessful incubation of trout eggs to sac fry are scouring Floods and droughts. I believe you are right and I've been wondering myself with this latest deluge...what has happened to the spawn?

If the redds are swept away in high muddy water then the eggs could possibly be dropped in floodplains which will soon dry up or in silt traps and gavel bar bedloads to deep to escape.

Conversely, if spawning occurs in normal conditions and then drought hits over the Novemebr /december timeframe, I imagine the eggs could go dry if not in the main channel of the stream.

Maurice

No need for another study. Low flow falls tend to produce the best brook trout year classes in Pa. Brook trout are well adapted to typical Pa. falls....those with low flow. Browns tend to favor somewhat higher flows in fall than the brooks, but the range of higher flows that favors brown trout reproduction in Pa. is unknown. Browns are possibly preadapted to higher flows due to their European origin.

A very interesting question in trout habitat and the answers are very respectable and knowlegable this site seems to be going in the right direction ~~ thanks for the info guys!

S1

Here's another question? How long does it take for fish eggs to hatch? I was under the impression that it only took a few days(4 to 7) for incubation. Temp is what triggers spawning in the first place so the fry should show up quickly? I would think heavy current is more harmful than to the fry than the eggs.

Jason

According to this article, about 2 months
http://fishinginfo.atspace.com/utahfish/brooktrout.html

So now you know when to throw those Mickey Finns! :)

Fromas little as 40 days to about 90 days, it is temperature depndent. The lower the temperature the longer it take to hatch the trout eggs. Soin a cold mountain stream where the brookies spawn in mid-October, the eggs will hatch in mid- January. But you won't see them until they swim up out of the gravel which will probably be in March sometime, again dependent on temperature.

Thanks, now I know. Learn something everyday here.
Jason

I was kind of thinking like Mike that with lower conditions it would favor the trout spawn. If conditions are real low and stay low then all the eggs should already be in the main channel and should stay intact and not washed a million miles down stream. I just wondered what impact maybe the real high recent water conditions might have had on this years spawn and from what I'm guessing it probably hurt it a good deal. Thanks for the added info everyone. I always wondered when they hatch and all...I kind of figured temp had something to do with it along with the time they were laid...I kind of thought it was closer to spring then in the dead of winter though but I'm definitely no expert on the spawning and hatching.

Back