High Sticking Mulit Bug Rod?

• Thread starter cricketontherun
  • Start date
cricketontherun

cricketontherun

I'm looking for a good high sticking mulit bug/indicator rod. I've been thinking about the Sage 99 series, but maybe a more standard 10' rod would work just as well? Thoughts????

I am not sure what a mulit is, but I have heard good things about the 10' greys streamflex for nymphing, particularly high sicking and euro nymphing.

That's business up front, and party in the back, son.

Or, its mispelt "multi." I'm going with the former, though.

I thought it was "multi" too, but it was spelled as "mulit" twice so I wasn't sure.

I'm going with a typo of multi as opposed to mulit. On that premise, the Sage 99 is exactly what that rod is built for by the description:

A day of multi-bug rigs, wind-resistant indicators and the requisite high-stick rod position can be enough to make your arm fall off before lunch. But the fact is, there simply isn’t a more reliable, effective technique for finding big fish. Which is why we created the 99.

Built with the same advanced G5 Technology as our Z-Axis rods, the most obvious nymph-specific feature of the 99 is its namesake 9-foot, 9-inch length, which makes short work of long, drag-free drifts. But that’s just the beginning. The 99’s unique taper loads lower on the blank to generate open loops, helping avoid tangles with multiple fly and indicator rigs. At the same time, a stiffer tip section handles heavy payload delivery but retains the sensitivity needed to detect subtle takes.

The 99s also feature slightly oversized guides specifically placed to make stack mending, shake-out and line feeding easier. Put it all together and you have a light, perfectly balanced rod that casts like a 9-footer but fishes like a 10. High-Stickers rejoice!

With that said they're also pushing $700, there may be good alternatives in a 10ft assuming 4 or 5 wt? if you're not looking to spend that much. I have heard good things about Greys as well but have never researched them.

Do you have a budget in mind? Anywhere that you can test cast something?

I have a 10' 4wt Grey's Streamflex (Thanks again Jdaddy), and I love it for nymphing. Over the past weekend I fished the Little J with high winds and had no trouble fishing a 16ft leader with three flies. It even casts excessive amounts of weight with ease. According to Jdaddy it casts dries well, but I wouldn't know anything about that. I'm a nymph snob!

here's a 10' 4 wt for $99 with warranty.

decent rods and won't break the bank:

http://shop.wildwaterflyfishing.com/HX7-100-4-Fly-Rod-00710.htm

If price were not an option I would buy the "Sage" 99. It was designed just for nymphing! Besides I like Sage flyrods.

Nice Vandals link, and I may just have to grow out a mulit now to show some humility! I hope this has made everyone's day as much as it has made mine. So I was going for multi bug or euro nymphing. Luckily I have a family member who gets sage at cost, so the "99" was of interest. I generally don't fish a rod in PA over 8', but I fish a lot more multi bug rigs these days and want something to handle the job a little better. Especially when it comes to rustbelt chrome.

Just an FYI - the Sage 99's will do more than just nymph. I have the 4wt, and it's a great rod. Very versatile, light weight, and sensitive.

Back