Hickory Run

J

JasonC

Wanted your opinions. It’s listed as a Class A brookie stream yet gets stocked every year. Is this an example of a stream whose wild population would fare better without stocking? Would you consider this a true Class A without the stocked fish?

I think they stock the section from the park down to the Lehigh? (someone please correct me here if I'm wrong). I believe as you go upstream from the main park road it is mostly native brookies.

bradtheflyfisherman wrote:
I think they stock the section from the park down to the Lehigh? (someone please correct me here if I'm wrong). I believe as you go upstream from the main park road it is mostly native brookies.

Hickory Run has a lot going on for a stream a that's only a few miles long > like 4 different regs!

It starts off as a natural repo stream > is stocked below the lake/dam and under general harvest regs > it turns into a CR-ALO below the general reg area > and ends up being a class A from the crossing of Rt 534 to where it dumps into the Lehigh River. :lol:

I emailed the PAFBC about taking it off the stocking list, and I got shot down.

They stock from the outlet of Hickory Run Lake to the next dam and they dont stock many in the stream as the access for stocking is not that easy. Most often they overstock the lake with most of the trout. The next section down to the dam holds a population of brook trout and then from the office down to the Lehigh you can get brown and at this time of year, a few bigger fish that migrate up from the Lehigh.

If anyone ever wants to hit it up let me know as its one of my local favorites even if I dont know how to handle the fish . . had to add that for some of the haters in the crowd.

The closest to the Lehigh would be stocking of Sand Springs that is socked right by the office just before the dam above where Sand Springs and Hickory Run merge. The trout dont last long in there as the holes are very small and limited and most get fished out in a day or two.

Tight Lines !!

I might have a go at it in the next coming weeks. Does one portion fish better than another or do you suggest a good starting point? Species doesn’t matter to me as to which I target, I’m generally just excited to fish it. It’s been a stream I’ve been eyeing up for some time now but never had the free time to get to. Probably a better question, which portion of the stream has the best access and would you recommend having a go at Sand Springs as well or focus on Hickory Run?

If you like adventure I recommend hiking along the stream down to the Lehigh and then fishing your way back up!

JasonC wrote:
I might have a go at it in the next coming weeks. Does one portion fish better than another or do you suggest a good starting point?

Someone already explained which section is stocked.

Fish the OTHER sections.

That's not a joke. It's serious advice.

Back