Hickory Run State Park

J

JasonC

From what’s listed on the PAF&BC classification site, it looks like Hickory Run and the various streams running through there are Class A. Anyone hit them up recently and know if they stay cool enough to target summer trout? It’s a bit of a drive for me and I’ve always wanted to try those streams. I don’t care much about getting skunked either as I enjoy the solidarity of being out in the beauty of nature up there. But the allure of a mountain Class A stream with almost 100% public access is too much to pass up.

I haven't fished there in many years but Hickory Run State Park in the western Pocono Mountains is very beautiful. In the upper right-hand corner of this web site, you can click on the link for Fly Fishing Shops.

There is one in White Haven and another in Blakeslee. I am sure that they can help you with current conditions for when you want to fish.

Enjoy the Poconos. I do it on most weekends.

I live 5 minutes from Hickory Run State Park. Mud Run is a good bet and stays cold enough to fish all year long. I will send you a pm with a good starting point.

A heartfelt thank you! Hickory Run is probably at the limit of my day-trip driving time to fish a true mountain stream. Eventually I’ll take a couple days to make it out to some of the iconic limestoners in Central PA, probably stay somewhere cheap around State College since that seems to be the central point of most of them. However, Hickory Run is about a 2 hour drive for me so I can make a day trip out of it.

Hemlock acres is a decent place to stay in centre county. Me and my buddy do a trip in the spring / fall every year and get a cabin there.

Eventually I’ll take a couple days to make it out to some of the iconic limestoners in Central PA, probably stay somewhere cheap around State College since that seems to be the central point of most of them. .

i stayed at Nittany Budget Motel a few weeks ago when i fished spring creek for two days - i didn't touch a fish though.

nice scenery though.

Back