hey new guy

Clinton1396

Clinton1396

Hey, I'm new around here and just been hanging around the forums reading over things. and I wanted to introduce myself, My name is Clinton and I live in Jacobus, and I'm 15 years old. I have been fly fishing for about 2 years and I'm pretty good at it. I mostly fly fish for blue gills on lake Redman, when bass aren't biting.

I just started to fish for trout this year, with spinners and stuff like that. But I want to start using my fly rod for trout. I have a few ? for u guys. I own a 9 foot fly rod and I was wondering if that will be to big for the creeks around here? Also I might go to Muddy creek next weekend to the fly fishing only section and was wondering if that area is big so u can cast in there and stuff, b/c I never been there. And what smaller fly rods do u guys recommend? And one more ? what are some good flys to use on the muddy creek? Thanks for helping me out! :-D

Clinton

sorry for the long post

Clinton,

No need to apologize for the long post...if you've been hanging around, there are lots more long posts with less to offer.

We're neighbors. I live in Dallastown. I fish Muddy often. (during the week). A 9' rod is preferred there. So you will be OK with it. As for flies, try buggers and streamers, standard nymphs like Hares ears, phesant tails and caddis larvae. I like to use big stonefly nymphs in the bumpy water there. Also don't forget some green weenies. All of the above can have a bead.

For drys, the caddis should be coming soon and some darker mayflys until May swings around for the sulfurs. But I don't fish drys there as a means of prospecting unless the flys are present. Rising fish have been sparce lately dur to the cold water/weather.

Give it a go upstream of Bridgeton, you can park, at the lower cable or past the culvert pipe up Piney Hill Road. Look for signs for parking and to enter the creek. The hemlocks next to the lawn area at the bottom is a good start but a popular place. You can also work upstream for about 1.6 miles. Look for deep pockets marked by colored water and the rocky areas. Nymph or swing your buggers there.

For smaller rods, I'd recommend nothing less than a 3 wt (4 preferred) in a 7.5-8" length for dry fly fishing in the smaller creeks around here and elsewhere. Your 9' should suit for Muddy.

Good luck to you.

Maurice
ps, don't discount the open water areas. They can produce well using the suggestions above.

Clinton,
Welcome aboard and welcome to the world of fly fishing - we think you'll love it. This forum is a great place for beginners to get advice. While a 9' foot rod is considered on the long side for stream trout it will work fine for starts. Although I prefer very short rods, the trend these days is toward longer rods and I sometimes use a 9' for trout. Keep an eye out for overhanging tree branches. Muddy Creek is medium sized and you should be able to fish with your 9' rod just fine. In fact, beginners often have better line control with longer rods. A good "short" rod would be 7' or 7.5'. Flies to try on Muddy would be dark Wooly Buggers and some furry nymphs. If you haven't really done much fly fishing for trout I'd recommend the W. Bugger. This fly will catch trout drifted or retrieved. If the water is high and cloudy this fly still works well. Good luck - let us know how you made out.

Thanks for the info guys, I will try some of those flies

Back