Here come the tigers...

At least they are sterile....but they are fast growing and ravenous feeders

Ugh... I don't understand. Tiger trout are stocked because...?

... they don't reproduce. When stocked over wild populations they will not affect the gene pool. If you don't want them in a body of water any more, you just stop stocking them and wait a few years for the existing fish to die off.

I'm a wild trout angler. I'll fish some stocked trout water but not much that doesn't have natural reproduction with the chance of catching wild fish. I do, however, see some value in stocking. It spreads anglers out. It keeps a lot of water open to the public. It can also be a useful gateway drug.

If trout are going to be stocked, which they are, a case can certainly be made for stocking sterile fish. I know I've caught wild fish displaying digi-brown patterns. That wouldn't happen if fertile browns hadn't been stocked over wild populations. I'm not sure how much increased predation of wild juveniles occurs at the mouths of tigers/triploids but that seems the most significant negative possibility.

... they don't reproduce. When stocked over wild populations they will not affect the gene pool. If you don't want them in a body of water any more, you just stop stocking them and wait a few years for the existing fish to die off.

I'm a wild trout angler. I'll fish some stocked trout water but not much that doesn't have natural reproduction with the chance of catching wild fish. I do, however, see some value in stocking. It spreads anglers out. It keeps a lot of water open to the public. It can also be a useful gateway drug.

If trout are going to be stocked, which they are, a case can certainly be made for stocking sterile fish. I know I've caught wild fish displaying digi-brown patterns. That wouldn't happen if fertile browns hadn't been stocked over wild populations. I'm not sure how much increased predation of wild juveniles occurs at the mouths of tigers/triploids but that seems the most significant negative possibility.

Very reasoned and sound opinion.

Private clubs with private waters (RR) often stock tigers for their hybrid vigor, i.e. aggressive - easy for the members to catch.

... they don't reproduce. When stocked over wild populations they will not affect the gene pool. If you don't want them in a body of water any more, you just stop stocking them and wait a few years for the existing fish to die off.Good
Very reasoned and sound opinion.
Good points. Time and further study will help us understand both the positive and negative impacts to wild browns and native brook trout populations

Only tiger I ever caught was a wild fish in a tiny creek that’s got wild browns and brooks. At the time, it had been 40 years since the last stocking. Now more like 70. Still has the wild trout, but I think that tiger was pretty much a unicorn.

They’re kind of cool looking, and in a way that makes palomino trout look all the more freakish. I wouldn’t mind catching them.

I think Utah stocks them on a semi regular basis.

Like palominos, pretty much just a curiosity that makes for a n ok fish story 30 years on.

Anyone have an idea of how the success rate for hatchery tigers compares to hatchery rainbow and brown?

I’m thinking in terms of X number of eggs were fertilized and 50% reach stocking size (10”?).

I know wild tigers are rare due to hen brown trout ultimately choosing a buck brook trout to mate with. In captivity all of the brown trout eggs should have a sufficient amount of brook trout milt.

Anyone have an idea of how the success rate for hatchery tigers compares to hatchery rainbow and brown?

I’m thinking in terms of X number of eggs were fertilized and 50% reach stocking size (10”?).

I know wild tigers are rare due to hen brown trout ultimately choosing a buck brook trout to mate with. In captivity all of the brown trout eggs should have a sufficient amount of brook trout milt.
It's low. I think on the order of 80 percent of eggs don't even hatch. EDIT: Looks like Wyoming has a whole procedure for getting a lot better survival https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Fishing-Update/Making-tiger-trout
also, looks like Virginia is having a go at them: https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Fishing-Update/Making-tiger-trout

Last edited:
Success rate seems very low. Effort vs Reward?

Back