Help with Penns creek?

1hook

Hey all,

I'm fishing penns for the first time tomorrow, I plan to spend the entire day there to fish and explore.

Any suggestions on where to start and what parts I should focus on. From stream reports it appears green drakes and sulphers are coming off pretty good right now. Although any help with hot patterns would be appricated. I like terrestrials a lot, is it to early to chuck some ants and beetles at them?

Seems like I hear the words coburn and Weikert mentioned as far as where to fish but I'm not real familiar with the area,

Thanks for any help

There are several threads about Penns present situation in Fly Fishing Locations, Stream Reports and maybe even here in General. It is late May, you will find hatches and rising trout on Penns this time of year, but please don't tell anyone.

Stop by the Feathered Hook in Coburn. Jonas sells a map of the creek that is only a couple of bucks - it's really handy for exploring the area.

He doesn't always have them in stock, but be sure to grab one if he does. Good stuff.

Don't consider Penns to be a terrestrial stream. Take your nymphs. Large stoneflies, variations of pheasant tails and caddis. If they're eating sulphurs on top cdc patterns, comparaduns, emergers. Thorax style dries are good too.

Sorry looked in stream reports didn't even realize we had a stream location forum. You can delete this if you want I'll just get the info I need off the other posts

Don't let Jonas talk you into too many flies :) and I hope you have better success than me getting out of there for under three digits!

Don't be afraid to fish the water with a dry. It is the best big water I know of to do that. Better bet with nymphs but still, it's cool to do. You have to take your time examining the water. You get an idea of where the fish are. It isn't always obvious fishy water. There are a lot of places in Penns that don't have fish. They will be on the OTHER, better side of the run or whatever. They aren't scattered everywhere like Spring or the Little J. If it's ON, it's very good fishing. If it isn't, you're really out of luck. I would recommend a guide the 1st time. It's how I learned Penns and it saved me YEARS of wandering and fishing mistakes.
Syl

Back