Help with Google maps or waze

buffalo

buffalo

I'm and old fart and am having trouble trying to load the coordinates( lat 40.3870 long-7617120 from the fish and game stocking site to get to Rebers Bridge on the Tulpehocken. I don't have the time to get backup to Spring or Penns but want to do some Sulphur fishiong. Im from Hatfield and it looks like it would be under an hour and a half to get there.
Thanks for any help.
Buffalo

You can use "Rebers Bridge Rd Reading PA" as a destination. That worked on Rand McNally's directions website.

Coordinates for Rebers Bridge from Google Maps:

In search box at google maps. Type in Lat. then a space, then Longitude. Don’t forget decimal points and negative sign preceding longitude.

Thanks it worked on google maps.

Still looking for a way to load longitude and latitude into either WAZE or google maps 'cause that is what the fish comm gives for directions. Any help greatly appreciated

Tups,
Not sure what I did wrong but it didn't work. Does it matter if I typed Lat vs lattiiude and is there a space between the latitude and longitude? How could it be so different from the numbers on the Fish com site?
Thanks for your patience

You put the coordinates in just like this:

40.373075 -76.0085276

That is all. Do not type in "lat" or "lon".

Your original coordinates identified a location several miles upstream of blue marsh lake - up near womelsdorf I believe it was. Maybe those are the coordinates of upstream limit of stocking. just a wild guess.

In google maps in the search box type: decimal latitude, then a SPACE, then the decimal Longitude preceded by a negative sign.

Once google finds the location, drop a pin, save the pin, then label the pin.

Really no need to deal with coordinates on Google Maps. Simply zoom in on the exact location you wish to get directions to, click on it to place a pin on it, and click "directions." The turn-by-turn directions will appear and you can even access the directions on your phone which will take you right to the parking lot.

Thanks for all your patience and help guys, not sure how i did it but it worked. Now for some nice weather and on to the sulphur hatch.

My pleasure. I think troutbert hit the nail on the head. I hadn’t picked up that you were actually typing the words Lat and long in the search box. No need for words. Just numbers. Hope You met the hatch.

Be sure to check the USGS gauge before you plan to go. It's currently 1280 cfs, isn't worth the trip until it's under 300, and under 200 is preferable.

When I use the Fish Commission stocking info the coordinates appear in blue. If you click on them it automatically opens Google maps and the location is pinpointed. I use this to locate streams in areas that I am not familiar with.

I don't think you can drop pins or input a location by longitude and latitude in Waze? Never have been able to figure it out myself. I like Google Maps better for finding fishing locations as it seems to have more outdoor related things highlighted or noted, plus I can drop pins wherever and get directions to them.

I realize this is far beyond what OP needed help with, but it may be of value to others. I recently figured out that using Google Maps, you can use points on a map that you created just like any other point and navigate to them on your phone. It has proven very helpful when exploring unfamiliar areas.

For example, lets say you want to explore several small wild trout streams in one day. In the days/weeks/months before the trip, you can create a map using Google Maps on your phone or PC. This is done by going to the drop-down menu next to where you would normally enter an address. Look for the item that says "Your Places", click that, and look for the button that says "Create Map". You can drop points at all of the access areas you want to check out. The changes are automatically saved to your map.

When you finally get that free time to go explore, just go to google maps on your phone, and go into the same drop down menu and tap on "Your Places". It should show a list of the maps that you have previously created. you can tap on the name of the map to open it, and tapping any point will bring up the option to get directions to that point.

The big advantage to doing it this way is you don't have to try to remember on-the-spot exactly where you wanted to check out. Don't have to scroll around the map on your phone looking for that section of water that looked good when you were looking at maps a month ago.

Very rough explanation, can go into more detail later if anyone is interested.

sarce wrote:
I realize this is far beyond what OP needed help with, but it may be of value to others. I recently figured out that using Google Maps, you can use points on a map that you created just like any other point and navigate to them on your phone. It has proven very helpful when exploring unfamiliar areas.

For example, lets say you want to explore several small wild trout streams in one day. In the days/weeks/months before the trip, you can create a map using Google Maps on your phone or PC. This is done by going to the drop-down menu next to where you would normally enter an address. Look for the item that says "Your Places", click that, and look for the button that says "Create Map". You can drop points at all of the access areas you want to check out. The changes are automatically saved to your map.

When you finally get that free time to go explore, just go to google maps on your phone, and go into the same drop down menu and tap on "Your Places". It should show a list of the maps that you have previously created. you can tap on the name of the map to open it, and tapping any point will bring up the option to get directions to that point.

The big advantage to doing it this way is you don't have to try to remember on-the-spot exactly where you wanted to check out. Don't have to scroll around the map on your phone looking for that section of water that looked good when you were looking at maps a month ago.

And unless it's changed and the feature is buried somewhere in recent releases, the points are nameless coordinates. Google, for all their ability to create stuff often majorly drops the ball on integration. If you want to add meaning to them, login to bookmarks.google.com with a browser and you can tag the points and name them. Still doesn't quite show up on a phone that way, but it seems sometimes you can navigate to them by name. I've got a couple beaver dams marked this way :)

sarce wrote:

I save places I've parked to fish to one map. I just checked it out. A lot of places are named dropped pin but some have a creek name or some other landmark like a park, state game lands number or hatchery. When you're looking at maps on a computer, pick a landmark with a name you'll associate with a certain body of water. You can right click on it and select what's here, then you'll have the option to save it which marks it as a star on your maps.

Agree with Salmonoid on this naming limitation in Google Maps. And one other thing, before venturing forth into the land of chaos and blue lines with your Google Fishing map, make sure you have downloaded the Offline Maps onto your phone.

I don't have an issue with the points not having a name. If I give the point a name in Google maps when I create the map, the name is there on my phone too.

Tups, great advice to download the map for offline use.

Back