Help with first flats trip

T

ThePreacher

Hi folks,
infrequent poster here, but I hope you won't hold it against me. I'd like to plan a first trip for SW flats fishing but there are so many locations and options in the Caribbean, Florda and Central America that I don't know where to start. Can anybody recommend an outfitter, or location? How about time of year? Ideally it would be somewhere with things for the family to do as well (beach combing, snorkling, etc), so spartan fishing lodges would not be the best choice for us. Appreciate any advice. THX!

Bahamas !! Andros island for one

If you are taking your wife & kids i'd recommend Eleuthera or Grand Bahama.

i went to eleuthera twice and found this site - it has maps of all the flats on the island. i fished Savannah Sound and Governors Harbor mostly.

http://www.discover-eleuthera-bahamas.com/bonefishing-in-the-bahamas.html

the family can wander the pink sand beaches, take a trip to Harbor Island, snorkel and hang out.

Paul Petty is the local bonefish guide.

we love the island, its very rustic - but with good food - the Friday Night Fish Fry, The Beach House, Tippys etc.

If you stay at the Rainbow Inn, they will help you out with flies, maps and spots too.

the island is pretty rustic. if you want an upscale vacation you have two choices - Pineapple Fields or The Cove.

best o luck.

My only flats experience was this summer in key west, and I'll vouch that it was a blast there. As far as activities, it's got everything you can imagine. My fiance and I did a day trip that alternated between jet skiing, parasailing, snorkling, and this crazy inflated, floating jungle gym thing (lots of families did it too). Food is phenomenal as well.

One downside...most of the island is developed which means very little "actual" beach. Further up the keys however, (i think) this changes however.

As far as fishing, the prime time is may-june for the glamour/sport fish, but there is fishing year round if you aren't picky about species. I booked a trip with Luke Kelly and would highly recommend him heading to the lower keys.

Thanks to all of you, I'll look into all three suggestions.

I agree with Sandfly. Fall in the Bahamas probably has the best fishing for big Bonefish. October at Sandy point in abaco is just amazing.
Largest Bones of the year are caught in October. Also in the Keys. October can be great for Bones, snook and redfish. All lots of fun.

GenCon

I second the vote for Grand Bahama and would say without knowing the age of kids consider Pelican Bay with Greg Vincent or I think you can stay at the big resort across the street and fish with the Pinders?? Not sure on that part, but easy to get to, lots of non fish stuff to do and good fishing that is relatively beginner friendly.
Ooooor,
Find a nice resort as close to Tulum, MX as possible and track down arrangements to fish Boca Paila. The lodge has been sold but the guides and skiffs are still working the lagoon. You won't get big bones like you would in Grand Bahama, but lots of training wheel bones, plus snook, tarpon, and permit.. This would be my pick.
Both should have direct flights from Philly.

Thanks again to you all for your input. Sounds like right now is the best time to go, which is too bad because I was planning for the dead of winter. is it worth it to head to the Bahamas or the Keys in January or February?

Bahamas & Florida are both worth it in January/February. That is when my wife likes to go to get out of NE winters and I have always had quality fishing. I can't compare it to other times of the year but there have always been plenty of good fishing.

yes. i agree with Scotto - January and February is often the best time, less sand flies and more stable weather.

fall and spring are when the big fish are migrating and very hungry but in the Bahamas they have bonefishing year round.

both my trips to Eluethera were in the last week of January. the exact timing was down to when the high tide was around 12pm so i could fish the incoming tide around 10am with a high sun behind me to make spotting bones easier at first.

Back