Help Selecting Rod

• Thread starter Rusty_Shackelford
  • Start date
Rusty_Shackelford

Rusty_Shackelford

I have an 8' 4wt Redington CT that I enjoy on my local medium sized streams however I find myself wanting something lighter and a little shorter on the smaller streams or tighter stretches where i often only have a few feet on line out. I am going to purchase a new shorter lighter rod and over-line it with 4wt line, would a 2wt CT be a good option for this? I have tried glass and found it a little too flimsy for me but it seems that a light graphite rod with a moderate action like the CT would have a similar feel without being overly noodley. $150 is about my limit and sadly I am unable to try any rods before purchase so I must count on the testimonials of those more experienced than myself. I considered the 3wt CT but it seems somewhat redundant considering I already own a 4wt.

Short answer: maybe. I have no experience with a CT 2wt and it wouldn't matter if I did. Likely it would be fine.

Long answer:
1. there are many ways to do it, so there a many "right" answers and you will likely hear some of them here.

2. "I have tried glass and found it a little too flimsy for me" Glass is just a material which is less important than how the rod designer uses the material. There are different types of glass some are less noodley that others.

3. "$150 is about my limit" I would (and have for the majority of my rods) buy used.

4. The 2wts I have (in my opinion) are much better with a 3wt line than a 4wt, not that means anything.

An 8' 4wt is a nice small stream rod.

But if you want something shorter, you might try a St. Croix 7 ft 3 wt.

A buddy of mine had that rod and I fished with it for awhile and was very impressed.

It has a lot of punch for a 7 ft 3 wt. You can cast big shaggy dry flies and really SEND it.

It wasn't over-lined.

I don't remember which St. Croix model it was. And that model may not even be made anymore.

But there are probably other 7 ft 3 wts that would also fit the bill.

For small streams I really enjoy my Orvis Clearwater 7.6 3wt. It is normally my take rod. I also have an Orvis Perfect Glass 7.0 3wt. The actions are different and it takes me a few casts to get comfortable with the Glass. The glass is more of a full flex (Full Body) where the Clearwater is in the tip (last 2 feet). In fighting the fish they are similar because I use the same hand controls. Not much in using the drag on the reel. Fish size are normally close, so until I fight a monster with either, I really can't compare their performances more than I have. Your budget might not let you get an orvis unless you check around to see if the shop has any used rods.

A four wt line on a 2 wt rod would be a matter of choice. It is do able however my thoughts are 1 up or 1 down and never more.

By the way, I have a shirt that asks: "How many guitars does a guitarist need . Just one more" The same mentality goes for Flyrods. I
own 7 rods.

Rusty,

Not all glass is created equal.
I bet you would love my Hardy Fibatube 6'1" 5wt fiberglass. Stiff and powerful, yet delicate, 5wt line for good punching and stronger than graphite (can take abuse).
Just saying.
Imo these types of rods are made for the very application you seek.

Only problem is they are rare and harder to find.

Cabela’s CGR 6’6” 4 wt. don’t over line it. It’s a glass rod but fairly fast for glass and will do it all, dry flies, nymphs, buggers. Roll casts like a dream and if you don’t like it, it only costs $65.

I'd recommend going on the shorter side - maybe the rod that Hop recommends above. ^

A 2WT is a novelty rod - I'd avoid that unless you really intend to use it for some sort of specialty application.

Something in the 6-7' range and 3 or 4 WT.

I have a 6'6" Cabela's 2 wt. rod/ outfit. It's a fun rod to fish especially in tight places. It's a "novelty" as Dave said, but lets me get in some really tight places on some of those Laurel Hells that I have fished in Georgia. I got a cheapie just as a fun rod to fish. GG

Thanks for all the replies y'all, I ended up purchasing a 7'6" 3wt CT for $120 and a friend also gave me a 6'6" 3/4 wt Eagle Claw glass rod yesterday I havn't got to try yet. I think between the 3 rods I have I can find something that works for most occasions I'll run into trout fishing.

Those Eagle Claw's are a blast for what, $30? I had one in a 5/6 but broke the tip.

Broke it? that must have took some doing lol. And yea areound $30-40 depending on where you go, i think the 3/4 wt are a little less common.

It was the nefarious leaping car door species.

Hows the CT?

Paulson wrote:
It was the nefarious leaping car door species.

Hows the CT?

Haha I've heard of those but luckily never had the pleasure, and I love the CT, with my 4wt line on it it's everything I was hoping for. Eventually I want to try a 3wt line on it too but what I'm doing is working great for now so I just haven't found the need to buy more line and either another spool or a new reel as of yet.

Cool - yeah I've yet to run a 3wt line on my WC because it loads a 4wt pretty well. I hate to spend another $200 plus on a reel/line combo for something that works between two of my most used rods. They don't make my reel any more and the spools are difficult to come by.

Glad its working out.

Back