Help me plan a mini-PA fly fishing trip

S

sam

I live in Pittsburgh, and I will be heading to Philadelphia for a few days for work next week. I have two nights (3 days) free to make it back to Pittsburgh, and I'm trying to piece together a mini-fishing trip that brings me back west. I don't mind driving a bit out of the way to get back home (within reason).

This was my first thought about an itenerary, but I'd like to see what other folks would do.

Day 1: Head north out of Philly to White Haven and hit a stream or two in that area.
Night 1: Sleep near White Haven
Day 2: Wake up early and drive to the State College area. Fish some streams in that general region.
Night 2: Sleep near State College/Lock Haven
Day 3: Wake up early, fish a stream or two near North Bend/Lock Haven, and return to Pittsburgh.

This would be a good trip, but I've also spent a decent amount of time in the State College area this year and would like to explore something new if possible. This is where I'm looking for help. I've never been to White Haven, so that part of the trip would be new.

Dear Sam,

A lot will depend on temperatures and rainfall, or lack thereof if it is trout you are after.

My only real suggestion would be to switch the locations for days 2 and 3. Leaving from State College to head home will give you an hours extra fishing time before you head home.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Reactions: sam
The projected heat and lack of rain may make trout fishing tough late next week. Outside of the strong limestone influenced streams. They will likely fish best the first few and last few hours of daylight. I would definitely plan to fish until dark and fish as early as possible and relocstr in middle of the day. Your locations put you close to good fishing. There is a good bottom release stream close the turnpike that may be worth your consideration. Spring, the little J or BFC should be on your list.

Near White Haven, you might fish the outflow of Francis Walter dam. (Lehigh river) It's getting close to marginal, but should be OK for another week or two. Best will be if you fish it on a weekday. During the weekend there will be a whitewater release (>750cfs) both Saturday and Sunday. there is a small parking area on the top of the dam at the west end. Hike from there down the backside of the dam to the river. Or a little further west there is gated road down to the river about 1/2 mile downstream, but I'm not sure what the schedule is for when that gate is open. The road ends at the Lehigh stream gauge. Does anybody know when that gate is open? Is there a set schedule?

Near White Haven, you might fish the outflow of Francis Walter dam. (Lehigh river) It's getting close to marginal, but should be OK for another week or two. Best will be if you fish it on a weekday. During the weekend there will be a whitewater release (>750cfs) both Saturday and Sunday. there is a small parking area on the top of the dam at the west end. Hike from there down the backside of the dam to the river. Or a little further west there is gated road down to the river about 1/2 mile downstream, but I'm not sure what the schedule is for when that gate is open. The road ends at the Lehigh stream gauge. Does anybody know when that gate is open? Is there a set schedule?
The gate will be open until October 1st

If you have time on a work evening while in Philly, then I would consider hittling Valley Ck. If not, I wouldn’t blow part of a day on Valley when you could be fishing Pohopoco’s cold water or the Lehigh. You already live in a city so I would think days off away from a city or its burbs would be more desirable than time on Valley, especially since most fish you’ll catch from Valley will be small unless you catch the aftermath of some rainfall. Otherwise, the juice isn’t likely to be worth the squeeze.

Last edited:
Due to the time of year and warming temps (90s next week), my advice is to stick to the limestone spring creeks and let the freestoners rest unless you're after bass. State College is a great starting point. Carlisle area will put you on Letort, Big Spring, and upper Yellow Breeches and just below Children's Lake (spring fed). Further west will put you at Yellow Creek (Bedford). All good Limestoners that should fish well into summer and hold their cooler temps.

Last edited:
If it were me, I'd compare the PFBC map of DHALO and C&R creek sections to where I'm lodging or travelling through. There are exceptions but a lot of those sections have some holes that can hold fish through June - and even have marked parking areas/access.

If it were me, I'd compare the PFBC map of DHALO and C&R creek sections to where I'm lodging or travelling through. There are exceptions but a lot of those sections have some holes that can hold fish through June - and even have marked parking areas/access.
Next week with at least 5 days of 90 deg heat combined with low to moderate flows all DH Areas in the SE will be too warm except for Tulpehocken, Berks Co Bear Ck, Schuylkill Co., and maybe Pickering, Chester Co. On the warm ones (DH Areas) anglers will do the fish a favor by harvesting this weekend. Likewise, it will be too warm in the C&R’s on Ridley, Delaware Co, French, Chester Co, W Br Octoraro, Lancaster/Chester Co, and most likely Muddy Ck, York Co. Some may be so warm that many if not all of the trout will die if we don’t get some high flows between now and then. If there are any cool tribs, trout may stack up at their confluences. If so, avian predators will be well-fed.

Last edited:
I have not been up to Valley Creek, in the Valley Forge Park, but have a few hours on Tuesday and my brother and I are going to explore it. It is about an hour away from us, so we can up there for a few hours just to see it and wet a line. Looking at maps and TroutRoutes, I am planning to park at the flat lot at P.C. Knox Estate and follow the trail to the creek. Does that make sense, since I have never been there? I figure we could fish from the covered Bridge to the parking lot since we only have a few hours time.

Thanks "Mike" for the idea of "Pohopoco’s cold water" I would love to go and try that but it is two hours away and i will need a full day for that. My brother and i just recently re-started fly fishing after a few years of working too hard and not taking time to fish locally. So, we are in northern Delaware and fished here this spring but the water has warmed up and we want to explore the nearby PA waters. Thanks for any comments.

Next week with at least 5 days of 90 deg heat combined with low to moderate flows all DH Areas in the SE will be too warm except for Tulpehocken, Berks Co Bear Ck, Schuylkill Co., and maybe Pickering, Chester Co. On the warm ones (DH Areas) anglers will do the fish a favor by harvesting this weekend. Likewise, it will be too warm in the C&R’s on Ridley, Delaware Co, French, Chester Co, W Br Octoraro, Lancaster/Chester Co, and most likely Muddy Ck, York Co. Some may be so warm that many if not all of the trout will die if we don’t get some high flows between now and then. If there are any cool tribs, trout may stack up at their confluences. If so, avian predators will be well-fed.
Thank Mike. I should have added, Check the USGS monitors to see how fishable the water is.

My suggestion is probably not what you're looking for, but here we go. My advice: Pack a 6 weight or heavier and fish for SMB a lot. West Branch of Susky is right near Lock Haven. I don't know how well it fishes, but.....otherwise you are also close to the lower end of Bald Eagle. Catch some smallies, man.

Park in the circled lot. Access stream at the arrows, there are trails/paths. Fish anywhere from that point down to the mouth. Water is low and clear, so temper expectations accordingly.

I think your plan is solid. Just keep in mind its going to be getting warm this upcoming week in PA (and really the entire NE) and to keep an eye on water temps, luckily its been cooler as of late. Most everyone in the NE is dealing with the same dilemma this upcoming weekend, an abrupt end of what's been pretty nice weather.

Look for tailwaters and limestone creeks if your seeking trout.

Keep in mind the Lehigh is tough wading, just be prepared. As mentioned Valley might be a good spot to check out if you have some time in the evening.

My suggestion is probably not what you're looking for, but here we go. My advice: Pack a 6 weight or heavier and fish for SMB a lot. West Branch of Susky is right near Lock Haven. I don't know how well it fishes, but.....otherwise you are also close to the lower end of Bald Eagle. Catch some smallies, man.
I’ll have to research this area, I am not familiar with fishing here. But is a good idea. Thanks

I think your plan is solid. Just keep in mind its going to be getting warm this upcoming week in PA (and really the entire NE) and to keep an eye on water temps, luckily its been cooler as of late. Most everyone in the NE is dealing with the same dilemma this upcoming weekend, an abrupt end of what's been pretty nice weather.

Look for tailwaters and limestone creeks if your seeking trout.

Keep in mind the Lehigh is tough wading, just be prepared. As mentioned Valley might be a good spot to check out if you have some time in the evening.
Thank you!

If you don't mind torturing yourself, you could take 76 west out of Philly to Carlisle and fish some of the storied creeks from Limestone Legends:
  • LeTort from first light until the sun hits the water. fish with terrestrials and streamers
  • Yellow Breeches at the Allenberry (just to say you did it) plus the nearby outflow from Children's Lake (the open water in the upper reaches at Huntsdale has some leftover stockers and a healthy wild brown population)
  • Big Spring at Newville: fly section and open water are both productive and it's one of the few places where you have a shot at wild brook, brown and rainbows
  • Falling Springs at Chambersburg (also wild brown and rainbow, plus a shot at a wild brook trout)
  • Silver Spring, aka Trindle Spring Run in Mechanicsburg is also an option, but you'll be fishing behind a shopping center for wild trout.
Letort and Big Spring are your best destinations. Don't bother with Letort after the sun hits the water, but it can be very good in the early morning and late evening. The whole creek, from springhead to it's end at Conodoguinet Creek, is productive. Big Spring is a little more forgiving, but midday is not great. Both creeks afford a shot at a bruiser, as does Falling Springs in the fly section. If you've ever thought about fishing these storied creeks, your best option is to fish during the week instead of the weekend, so this is a good opportunity.

If I were to pick this option, I'd find a place to stay in Carlisle, and fish Yellow Breeches in the middle of the day, Letort in the morning and Big Spring in the evening. Head from Big Spring to Chambersburg for the night and hit Falling Springs first thing in the morning of day 2.

Unfortunately, I can't offer you any great spots west of Falling Springs.

And keep in mind, there's a level of self abuse associated with this because the fish are skittish and the waters are unforgiving. The fly fishing history of the streams, though, adds an element to the territory, especially if you are familiar with Limestone Legends (https://www.amazon.com/Limestone-Legends-Classics-American-Sport/dp/0811727920).

Back