Help Me Decide between These Two Rods

S

Skook

I'm looking to purchase a dedicated nymphing rod. My days of buying high-end rods at high-end prices are over, at least for a while.

Cabela's has their CZN nymphing rod on sale for $139. I have a $20 off $150 coupon, and so if I add just a couple of items I can use anyway, the rod would be essentially $119.

I have a chance to purchase a Redington Hydrogen at a discount. I think its MSRP is $299, and I can pick one up for $179.

I know casting each rod is the best way to decide, but I'm not sure if that will be an option. I don't know whether Cabela's ever offers that option on rod sales, and the Redington option is for an online purchase.

Does anyone have experience with either of these rods?

Are there better alternatives in this price range that I should be looking at?

Thank you.

Sierratradingpost has some Loop rods that would fit your intended application for what seems like decent prices. Personally, I find them to be a more intriguing rod than Cabela's offers, but that's just me.

Thank you. I've seen those rods at STP. They also have a Sage ESN, but it's $480, and my special email offers never apply to that rod.

I'll take a closer look at their Loop selection. I wasn't sure about that squared off "X-grip", or whatever Loop calls it. Have you fished one? If so, what do you think of the grip style?

I have a Loop w/ an x grip handle. It felt really odd but once I was fishing for a while I didn't notice.

Just out of curiosity what weight and length are you going with? My 10 foot 4 weight is my go to but I've been thinking about 10.5 or 11 recently. Please let me know what you get and what you think of your purchase.

I am not a dedicated nymph fisherman, and so my opinion on this rod is probably of little value. With that said, I'll be glad to report back once I have more to offer.

Just based upon what I've been reading lately about Euro nymphing techniques, my guess is that I am looking for a 3 wt or 4wt of between 10' and 11'.

Both of the rods I mentioned earlier either match or come close to those specs. For less than $200, I won't get burned too bad no matter what I decide. Surprisingly, the Internet reviews on both of these rods have been pretty good, FWIW. I've seen two or three forum posts about the Cablea's CZN breaking, but it's not common and could be the result of operator error (e.g. hitting blank with split shot, etc.). It does have a long warranty, too.

With regard to the Loop rods at STP, I didn't see any rods there that seem to match up with what I am looking for.

I have a Loomis GLX Czech Nymph 10 ft 4wt I would sell you if you would consider a used rod.

http://www.paflyfish.com/forums/Open-Forums/Swap-Forum/TFO-BVK-10--039--4wt-F-S-with-Redington-AS-3-4/14,43708.html

I apologize if I am being daft, but the link in the above post takes me to the main page.

I figured you were trying to direct me somewhere, and so I checked the Swap forum. I see that there is a Cortland nymph rod now posted there. Thank you.

The link was for a BVK 10' 4wt in the forum.

I use the CZN 10' 4 at as my everyday rod but I don't fish everyday. Too bad. I fish it about 30 days per year and love it. Haven't had any issues. I don't do any Czech nymphing so no heavyweight casting/lobbing. I fish 2 or 3 soft hackles routinely. Rod works great for that. I sometimes fish a tungsten bead head on point with no problems. For that price you can't go wrong with the cz.

I think the orvis Clearwater is 190 for a 10' 4 weight.

Those are decent rods. I have an 11' CZN and I think it is heavy, but haven't fished with a 10' one. Plenty of people like the Redington and Douglas long rods. I mostly use a first generation 10' 3 wt Greys Streamflex. That line keeps getting "improved" and more expensive. if you see a used original model i can recommend it.

I have built rods on the BVK blanks, but not a 10' rod, and really like them. IMHO, the hardware on the BVK rods are not as nice as I like, but the rods are great. Therefore, buy the blanks and build them with hardware I prefer.

Some people love the Cortland rods; others prefer other brands.

However, I think you are on the right track by looking at moderate priced nymphing rods. With current technology you can find a less expensive 10' rod that is comfortable to fish all day without going high end. Plus, for fishing teams of flies a moderate action rod will turn over with more open loops which will tangle less and the softer tips give more sensitivity. Those rocket fast rods can cast a long ways, but moderate action rods are better for teams of nymphs or wets IMHO.

Thank you all for the suggestions and great advice. I'm in no hurry to buy, and so I'll gather as much info as I can and wait for the right rod at the right price. I appreciate your help.

Back