Help from the board/State College

C

Canoetripper

I am pretty amped up for my tight line nymphing class with TCO on Spring Creek this upcoming weekend.

The game plan is to spend the Friday night in Bellfonte at the Econo Lodge and then take the class on Saturday with TCO. I need to know how to get from the Econo Lodge on Benner Pike to the McCoy Dam Parking area.

It probably isn't that difficult but I am sure that fellow board members know exactly how to do this.

I have only fished Spring Creek once and that was with Squaretail many years ago. I do know that there is much more to Spring Creek than just Fisherman's Paradise.

Thanks in advance.

CT

Benner pike towards Bellefonte. Benner Pike turns into another street close to the uni mart. Continue with the river on your left driving downstream the entire time and you'll hit it. If you get to Milesburg you passed it. Been a while since I've fished that area someone might know street names. Hard to miss though.

It's a straight shot on 150/144 (North).

Google maps is your friend.

Thank you.

From the motel, facing Benner Pike (Rt 150)

Turn right on Benner Pike, Rt 150 north, and stay on Rt. 150 north the whole way. Go 3.2 miles and McCoy Access will be on your left.

After you go through Bellefonte, there will be a sewage plant, car wash, and other businesses, then a gas station.

Then you go along a stretch with Spring Creek on your left and the steep slope of a mountain on your right. There are no buildings along here.

Look for the very first drive to your left. That's it. Turn there.

It is just before a storage unit business on your right. If you miss the drive to McCoy Access, you can turn around in the storage unit place parking area.

Also, you can copy the latitude/longitude numbers below, then go to Google Maps and paste them in the search bar.

N 40.93129 W 77.78462

This will take you a road map with a pin at the exact spot where the driveway turns off Rt 150 to McCoy Access.

If you click Satellite view, you can see the driveway and the parking area.

Canoe,

You've gotten good tips. Good luck.

When you get home, make sure you clean your waders so that you don't spread the snails that are now a plague on Spring Creek to your favorite waters.

Thanks again for the replies. I did finally find my Pennsylvania Atlas & Gazetteer, which is always a big help.

I have other waders and wading boots that I can wear for this class/trip that I don't wear at my R&G club. I think that all of the other members are like me and probably don't fish anywhere else. We are fortunate enough to have no "Rock Snot" there. I appreciate the "FYI/Heads Up" about the snails in Spring Creek that I was ignorant about.

I will post about my experience and thoughts on this tight line nymph fishing class. I am sure that I will learn a lot of very beneficial information, especially since I am such an inexperienced nymph fisherman, and both times previously nymph fishing were with the benefit of professional guides and watching the indicator to detect strikes.

This looks easy enough now that I have found my Pennsylvania
Atlas & Gazetteer. Rte. 322 north to Potters Mills and then Rte. 144 to Bellfonte.

Routes 144/150 combine and then follow towards Milesburg. After that just follow the advise I have received from the board.

New water for me as well as a new and very different tactic than I have never fished before. I am looking forward to this.

I caught a 6" wild rainbow and a 12" wild brown. I hooked but failed to land 6 others. This was my first attempt at euro nymph fishing. The other 3 students were older than me and great guys.

They were local State College guys. We all caught 2 trout.

Great day, Great instructor. I learned a lot today and can't to up my learning curve.

Thanks again for all of your help in the above replies.

Back