Help a newbie out

TroutKilla

TroutKilla

Havent been on the forum for a while since hunting season but i am looking to get ready for a new year if fishing. Im quit new at tying flies. I just started last year and havent got too good at it yet. If anyone could give some good ideas on some beginner flies. I usually fish the Neshanock. Thanks for the help!

Wooly buggers: Black,olive, 8,10,12
dries: adams, blue winged olive 14,16
nymph: hares ear, stonefly,beadheads of whatever mat. you might have. 14,16
beetles,14,16 ant 14,16,18,
Not sure about the stream you asked about but having some of these should get you going on your way. The sizes are just a primer if you will, no need to try and have everything at once. How is your material stock? Remember if you have the bare minimum pick out one or two flies to start with to get materials for. Like a couple of different colors for the buggers. Everything that swims will eat a bugger,same with the adams they are just really good flies to use.Come summer make sure you have some beetles and ants. You could buy some flies from a shop near the stream you are going to be fishing. They will have good info for the hatches there as well, And I'm sure someone on here knows about the Neshanock and can give you some info. good luck
I did mean to ask what are you going to be fishing for most of the time, I assumed trout.

Yes trout is basically all i fly fish for as of now. I got my basic threads (all the colors you named) and basic materials. thanks a lot for the help i will try some of the flys and let you know how they turn out. maybe ill post some pictures when i get the chance.

Buggers, hare's ear, pheasant tail and caddis pupa for subsurface. You can tie all of those with or without beads. Elk hair caddis, sulfur comparadun and perhaps an Adams for dries.

First pattern I learned to tie was a green weenie. That simple fly will still help you develop a lot of the basic skills that go into every pattern.

As a novice tyer I encourage you to focus on a few basic patterns and work on things like proportions, tying in various materials, minimizing # of thread wraps, amount of material you use and allowing space for the head of the fly.

Troutkilla I fish the Neshannock a lot. I tie a lot of flies too. PM me if you need any help.

Pics would be cool, keep in touch.

I'm not sure where the Neshanok sp? but the next time you are there turn a few rocks over and check out what you find......if you take a small bottle or something to bring a few nymphs or whatever hoome and try to identify them and also to duplicate them thats bound to be helpful and give you a few hints. GOOD LUCK!!!

Lots of caddis at the neshannock. Easy pattern is put on a good base of lead on a hook, attach some copper wire, wrap peacock or turkey up close to the eye, wrap the copper wire the opposite way, and finish off with some bright green dubbing at the head. Good cased caddis pattern.

I'm thinking we need to do the instructional day at the Neshannock again this year. Lots of new guys looking for help in our area. I'll work on that.

Ryan if you need a hand getting it organized let me know, I'd be more than willing to lend a hand. Norm

My workplace is closing in 30 days so I should have all the time in the world to hit the Neshannock. Its like ten minutes from me and Volant is about 15 minutes. I would be willing to help out.

Thank you everyone for the help! ill be giving some of your ideas a try and if i get the time ill pm some of you for some extra help. thanks a bunch!

Back