Hello from the Ozarks!

A

ArkieFlyGuy

I heard one of my stories made it to this forum, so I thought I'd check it out...

Well, as my "name" implies, I lived the first 48 years of my life in Arkanasas. I began fly fishing about seven years ago and now my other tackle is gathering dust in the corner of the garage. I moved to the Springfield, MO area last summer due to a change in employment. That puts me within minutes of great smallmouth fishing and half hour from Lake Taneycomo for some great trout fishing. Of course, I'm still in close enough proximity to the other White River system tailwaters to fish them as well.

I had the pleasure of meeting a Pennsylvania legend about a year ago. Joe Humphreys was in Arkansas for the Southern Council FFF Conclave. I didn't get to fish with him, but just talking with him for a few minutes you can soak up some knowledge.

If you would like to view more of my ramblings, click here....

Hope to come fish your waters some day. If you are ever on the White system in Arkansas or Missouri, give me a yell. We would love to have ya'll!

Tight lines, ya'll!!

Terry

Hi, Terry. I'm the guy who commented on your aticle on the Copperfly/flyangler.ca site. I saw a Fly Fishing America show last year with Joe Humphreys trying to catch a record brown in the White River. That must have been when he was there for the FFF meeting. Our trout aren't normally so big here, but there sure are a lot of places to catch them. Hope you can visit sometime.

Wulffman,

Yes, Joe was filming his SECOND FFA segment on trying to catch a 20 lb Brown on the White. His guide, John Wilson, is an acquaintance and I am on his forum. John knows the Bull Shoals and Norfork tailwaters like the back of his hand and is on a first name basis with several way over 20 lb Browns.

I got the chance to chat with Joe a couple of times. The last time that weekend was just before he rushed to the airport to make a flight just in time to get back for the Penn State game that weekend... I now know fly fishing may be #2 with Joe... LOL

While he did not land one, if you saw the night fishing episode, JW was convinced the fish Joe lost at the end of the show was WELL over 20 lbs.

We do grow them big down here...

Hi Terry - Talk about a small world..... Your friend John Wilson has some friends here in PA, that's for sure. He's a super nice guy, and really knows his stuff. We'll be up in State College in August for the Youth Fly Fishing World Championships. As you know, John is the coach of Team USA, and I couldn't imagine a better man for the job.
A few weeks after the night fishing episode of FFA aired on TV, I was talking to Joe Humphries while he was setting up his equipment at a show. When I asked him if he was EVER going to catch that 20lb brown, his eyes got really big, and his face just lit up. He stopped what he was doing and came over and sat down while he told me about that fish. A few days after he got home from Arkansas, his wife sent him out for milk. While he was driving, his thoughts drifted off to that fish he lost there. When he got home, his wife asked where the milk was. He replied, "What milk?" I think he wants a rematch. That's one heck of a good river system you guys have out there, and one I hope to get to visit in the not too distant future.
Best wishes from the Keystone State for a great year of fishing!..........Ed

Back