heat

Brian50

Brian50

Will heat hurt your fly rod if you have in a case and under the seat out of direct sun light

Yes. Epoxy hates heat.

Yes. Epoxy hates heat but it would have to be very hot inside the car or stored in the car for a prolonged time. It's not difficult or cubersome to carry a broken down fly rod in and out of the car so why leave it in the there subjecting it to heat and theft.

I don't think you'll have any problems. I often store my rod in my vehicle for months at a time with no issues as of yet.

Rods should be fine. I would worry about fly lines and tippets though

Tiogadog wrote:
Rods should be fine. I would worry about fly lines and tippets though

and flies - they fade in sunlight.

which can be quite useful if you can't quite get the colour right that you want.

on this subject of heat - how will the 86F & 88F temps affect the caddis and hendrickson hatches this weekend ?

i've often read of damp warm weather making for great hatches and damp cold weather nixing hatches, but never much about dry heat...

thoughts ?

cheers

Mark.

I don't think so, but heat definitely impacts the life of your flyline.

Kept my golf clubs in my car one summer. After a couple months my club heads started flying off the clubs. At first I thought it was just the one club. After the third club I knew there was a problem. I learned about heat and epoxy and leaving my clubs in my car. Yes there are different forces at work but heat inside a car, over time, degrades epoxy. I stopped leaving my clubs in the car and my club heads stopped flying off. Not sure how it would effect a fly rod but why take a chance.

Back