Heading to Spring

H

Hounds

Well I had big plans and got some great help on how to fish the little j. Some of the fly shops are now saying she is blown out. I'm getting this info from tco' website. Anyway it looks like spring is my destination now. I plan on hitting it early tomorrow morning. What should I bring? I fished it one time in May last year. It was high and muddy and used sulpher nymphs and caught three but fished all day. Second time in my life getting to the state college area I'd love some help on location( I've fished benner) and what flies and techniques I should use. I really appreciate your help.

Thank you

Kind of a gap in the hatch cycle for Spring Creek. Might see some blue quill spinners, but they rarely get the fish worked up. Probably too early for trico's.

So if you see sporadic bank risers - terrestrials. Other than that you'll mainly be nymphing. Scud patterns always work, but try everything.

Without anymore rain, it'll have a healthy flow and a bit of color but not be blown out. If it rains today/tonight, though, you could have high muddy conditions. In that case I'd throw streamers, and my first choice would probably be black sculpins.

I fished it Wednesday; saw exactly one sulphur and a few BWOs. Houserville was 50cfs, just a slight bit of clay in the water to add a bit of off-color. Water temp was 65 about midway Shiloh Road and Rock Road. I'm really suspect of TCO's water temps that they post (unless they're taking a reading at the outflow of a spring). Even with the lower flow, the fish where I was at were along the banks, tucked under branches and along rocks. Saw two dead fish as well; one was easy 18", the other about half that. The bigger fish I thought at first was a sucker, because the skin had whitened and the spots were gone, so it was dead a few days, maybe a casualty of heat, maybe a casualty of anglers overplaying him in the heat. He was wrapped up in weeds; made me think of Boromir in the boat when he was sent over Rauros, and when I rolled him over, he floated downstream, like a ghost.

Nymphs and terrestrials should perform well.

It's the time for chartreuse honey bugs. Big walts worms with light weight beads and tan mops were a killer for me not too long ago. This was all below Bellefont and if you are fishing for the bows in the fast water throw a squirm.

salmonoid wrote:

Water temp was 65 about midway Shiloh Road and Rock Road.

A few days ago (Tues or Wed) I took a temp of 70F above Bellefonte and 66F near the mouth.

Air temps were in the low 80s. This was around 6 pm.

Back