heading to oil creek- ? where to start

K

kbobb

Hi All,
First time headed to oil creek. I see there is DH at the Drake well and also at the lower end of the state park.
Any thoughts on where to start?
Is there good trail access or is one area better than others for access?
Any info for a first timer is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

There is a bicycle path that runs the entire length of the section of the stream between Drake Well and Petroleum Center (the upper terminus of the downstream regs area). So, you can hike or bike in either direction as far as you want to drop in and fish. So far as I recall, fall-out-of-your-car access to this portion of Oil Creek is limited to: 1) Drake Well 2) A bridge at a place called Miller Farm which is a few miles downstream from the well and 3) Petroleum Center. There may be another minor road access point (involving a short hike) between Miller Farm and Petroleum Center, I forget.

Personally, when I was fishing Oil Creek, which I didn't do all that much for trout, but logged hundreds of hours fishing it for smallmouth, I preferred to avoid the special reg sections. I never cared for either the number of guys you'll often see on the weekends on the regs sections or the weird out effect that DH regs have on the fish. Fortunately, it is an easy hike on the bike trail to less pressured water under general regs that still has as many fish as anybody could reasonably want. I preferred to fish either at Miller Farm or hike upstream from Petroleum Center.

The entire point is that access to the entire section is easy and relatively quick on foot or by bike.

Oh, better have somebody else independently verify that the stream is still accessible by car at Miller Farm. its been a long time since I've been there and back then, the road in was a little squirrely.

Have Fun..

I'll add that there is parking near the railroad bridge that marks the end of the lower DHALO.

If you don't mind elaborating, RLeeP, what do you mean by the wierd out effect of DH fish? Just that they are a bit too weary?

The middle access you were thinking of is Pioneer Rd. Little dirt road that dead ends at the bike trail between Petroleum Center and Miller Farm.

I tend to agree that the best fishing on this stream is NOT in the special reg areas. Not because they ain't any good. It's just that there's about an equal amount of fish throughout, and the special reg areas get pounded. Oil doesn't get "fished out" except right at a limited number of access points. They stock it far from car access points because the truck drives the bike trail.

If you really wanna learn the stream, take a bike. The trail gets far from, then close to, then far from, then close to, etc. the water. Imagine yourself as the stocking truck driver. Pretty easy to imagine where they may stop to dump fish in. Try fishing those spots. If you fish a while and there's not many fish there, jump on the bike and move to the next place they may stock.

Bike trail follows the stream on one side. Railroad tracks on the other. If on foot and trying to move up or down the railroad track is sometimes better positioned.

Keep in mind the railroad is active. Not quite pennsylvania main line active but it there is a sight seeing train that does operate, so try to not get run over.

It moves at the speed of smell, and sounds like a train.

I drove a car down miller farm road a few years ago, and it wasn't too bad. Had to dodge a few potholes and ruts, but no real problems.

Also agree about the special regs areas getting pounded. I usually avoided them for the open water up and down the trail

Thanks for the info folks,
very helpful. We will have a fun time biking and fishing.

Back