Heading to Gettysburg

E

Ed007

Me and my wife are heading to Gettysburg the weekend of the 16th. I wanted to now any suggestions for a stream to stop at close to Gettysburg. We are coming from south of Pittsburgh and I dont want to travel to far off our route since this is not a fishing trip. Cant resist the chance to see new water! Thanks for the help

If you are coming in Rt. 30 stop at Falling Springs in Chambersburg. It's about 25 miles west of Gettysburg. Classic limestone spring creek fishing.

I would recommend small streams in michaux SF, but most of those are probably trickles at this point, and I’m guessing the brookies are close to spawning.

If you don’t want to go far from Gettysburg, the closest you can get for trout is the Conewago. It’s all stocked fish, and probably low too, but a pretty stream. Marsh creek is good for smallies and sunfish.

I would also recommend falling spring if it’s on your way. You could also travel north on Rt.15 for about 20-25 minutes and fish the breeches around Dillsburg.

With regard to Falling Spring, I would actually hit the DHALO area before I ventured to the Heritage Area. The DHALO is still limestone with ice cold water and plenty of more approachable fish. There are stocked along with wild browns and rainbows in this stretch. Terrestrials are your best friend. For years I have said that the DHALO is vastly underrated as a fishery and really should stop being stocked. I think you will fare much better here as opposed to the Heritage Area. That is VERY TECHNICAL fishing and you are more likely than not to leave there frustrated. My .02

Fishing in the immediate Gburg area is poor this time of year - both trout and warm water. Your best bet would be to drive up to Yellow Breeches and the Cumberland Valley (about 45 min north).

I drove through Michaux SF this afternoon and the rains overnight have restored the flows to decent levels so you might hit some brookie streams. It's about a 20 minute drive from Gburg to center Michaux. Others have suggested Falling Springs (about 25 min) - a good recommendation as it's off RT 30 and close coming down RT 997. Conewago FFO (about 10-15 min) is usually stocked this month but I don't know if this is happening. I walked it a few days ago and it was very low with no trout visible (the streams around Gburg do not typically hold fishable trout populations over summer). For bass, you might try the Raystown Branch vicinity Bedford or Everett during your travels (about 2 hours out).

Send me a PM if you'd like to discuss further. If your visit is historical in nature, I work on the park and can provide some advice on that as well.

Take rt 34 into Carlisle and stay here a couple of days. Yellow Breeches, Letort Spring, Big Spring and Mountain Creek for trout and the Conodoguinet Creek for bass.

Steve

Well Ed, did you get to do any fishing in the
Gettysburg area?

Back