Head Light

V

VTPAangler

I'm looking to buy a head light for tying flies in the dark while on the stream, not necessarily for walking out of the woods after dark.

I've never used a head light/lamp before and was hoping to get some suggestions here. Anyone able to recommend one?

Thanks!

For some reason, I always had difficulty tying with a headlamp. It was disorienting to have the light moving around like that. Your mileage may vary.

I just get the cheapie energizer ones from the camping section at walmart/target. Perhaps a better light would have changed my experience.

For adequate tying light, I'd recommend a fixed light of some sort.

I bought a cabelas branded one a year or so ago..I would fix it to my hat band when needed and had no issue tying flies with it myself. The model I bought has both a three LED mode and a single incandescent. The LEDs are far superior for tying whereas the bulb was better for distance.

I was gifted an Energizer LED Headlamp at Bear hunting camp about 6 years ago. I love this lamp and still use it. One set of batteries will easily get me through a whole year. I love the red LEDs.

Link

I walked into Home Depot last week and saw a floor display with a pack to two LED headlamps and an LED flashlight all for $4.98!!!

I bought it and they work great, no kidding. Can't go wrong.

Man I'm such an idiot. I just read my post and realized I asked the wrong question. I meant to ask about a lamp/light that one can affix to a hat in order to permit one to tie flies to tippet at night.

VTPAangler wrote:
Man I'm such an idiot. I just read my post and realized I asked the wrong question. I meant to ask about a lamp/light that one can affix to a hat in order to permit one to tie flies to tippet at night.

And yet somehow they managed to answer the one you wanted to ask rather than the one you actually asked. ;-)

See, that's why I love it here :-D

I was going to say... "why in the world would you want to tie flies streamside in the dark"???

Thought I was missing some secret underground fly fishing convention or something.

I use a Tikka Plus. It has great battery life and is extremely bright.

I don't know what the ones I use are called. They are single LED, work on a watch battery, attach to a hat brim. Bout the size of a peanut, plastic shell, the plastic is usually colored (I have a red and and a yellow one). I do know I get them at FFP. Always hated the multiple LED ones like you see at Cabelas, too heavy.

I'll look up the model when I get home this evening.

For flashlights, I have to say, I have been very impressed with the Task Force 3 WATT LED light from Lowes. For $30, this thing is ridiculous! It's like a spotlight. It's kinda funny in hunting season when everyone else busts out their multiple D-celled Maglights. This thing is smaller (2 C cells), about 100 times brighter, and the batteries last longer. It holds its own with the expensive (over $100) lights.

From Carlisle
I use a Tikka Plus. It has great battery life and is extremely bright.

I'll second this, it's the only head light that I've ever used that is so light and compfy on the head that you WILL actually use it! It also has a red shade that slides over the main beam for stealth so it doubles (for me) as a hunting light when moving through the deer woods. A great piece of gear.

JA

The ones I was referring to are called Ledhedz Micro Hat Lamp. Very small, bright enough for tying on flies and such. I've even used them in place of a flashlight to get out at night. Not as nice as a flashlight for that, but it works.

Back