Head Cement ??????

yea-who

yea-who

If you where too, say, forget too put the lid back on head cement. And say it sat all night with the lid off and now its not hard but, its like the consistancy of say, thick maple syrup.
Can you and with what can you thin it back out ?
Not saying i did that yesterday with a new just opened bottle. But for future reference, will say.

They make head cement thinner and it shold work.

My advise...
Buy an applicator bottle. Mine was $5 and I just pull off the cap and squeeze a drop out.

Another tip....
Ketchup bottle lids are awesome lides for head cement. Just flip open, dunk your bodkin and flip closed. This method prevents a rush of air from flowing into the bottle.

The $5 applicator bottle is just one of those things that makes life easier and once you try it you'll always want one. Kindas like a magnetic net release.
I never wanted to spend teh $ on these things but are some of my best purchases.

this is one more reason to use sally hansen.if it gets too thick you can just thin with acetone ,or get a new bottle for a buck.

Ummmmmm.... MKern I have an applicator bottle but i left the little cap off it. The tube thing is solid threw. I haven't found anything i can fish down it yet.
As for a thinner i ain't buying nuttin. I was thinking on the lines of rubbing alcohol, nail polish remover, paint thinner, etc. Not sure witch to try.

yea-who wrote:
If you where too, say, forget too put the lid back on head cement. And say it sat all night with the lid off and now its not hard but, its like the consistancy of say, thick maple syrup.
Can you and with what can you thin it back out ?
Not saying i did that yesterday with a new just opened bottle. But for future reference, will say.

I knew a guy that did this once. He threw the head cement in the garbage and switched to Sally.

But me personally I rarely use any kind of head finish. Heck if I tied it and it falls apart I figure I can always do it again.

I only use head cement on flies that i tie for other people. Fly shops don't use head cement especially shops that deal thousands of flies, when you tie production style it takes alot of time to cement all flies. I haven't had any problems with my flies coming undone, if whip finished properly you should not have any problems. But as someone mentioned they do make head cement thinner that does indeed work.

Back