Hay Creek Brook Trout!!

E

evanmart

I know many on this site are familiar with Hay Creek in SE PA. (Berks County). It has been the subject of several arguments/discussions on this forum in the past. Most commonly people argue how good the stream could be if the put and take crowd was out of the picture (to which i have to concur) Also, many have argued it is loosing the good wild brown trout reproduction. However, last night, I fished the section from the quarry to the first bridge. It is a heavily stocked area, but last night we caught 15 wild browns ranging from 5-14inches. My buddy was bait fishing, while i was fishing buggers and nymphs. Right before dark, around the area of the first bridge, he landed this Brook Trout. This is the first wild brook trout I have ever seen on this creek. Does anyone else know if there is a reproducing population? according to this fish there is? I know the state only recognizes the brown trout reproduction, but its fish like this that make me wish it was CRFFO.

Attachments

• haycreekbrookie.jpg
    haycreekbrookie.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 61
Wow look at that glob of worms in relation to the size of that fish. I hope that it was successfully released in good shape. Those hands and fish are looking mighty dry.

jifigz wrote:
Wow look at that glob of worms in relation to the size of that fish. I hope that it was successfully released in good shape. Those hands and fish are looking mighty dry.

I was thinking that if the OP wishes Hay Creek was CRFFO he could start by encouraging his buddy to take up fly fishing and not feed those little gemmies red wigglers.

Glad you enjoyed yourself out there and I'm sure that you were careful with the wild fish you were catching. I really think that the trout you have pictured there is actually a Brown trout.

Stenonema wrote:
I really think that the trout you have pictured there is actually a Brown trout.

I concur.

Definitely a brook trout. Look at the white on the lower fin. I don't know what the name of that fin is. Is there a trout in the classroom project where they release the fish in Hay? I never caught a brookie in there.

Hmmm, that's a toss-up for me. Checked a few pictures of 3" wild brownies I've caught and they have the white tips at that age. Coloration in that picture looks brookie though...

Besides the white tips it has that reddish fin too like a clown fish.

Brookie. The bigger question here is........stocked or wild? ;-)

I'm fairly certain that's a brown trout. Brook trout should have light spots on a dark background (the red is kind of a toss up). I've caught small browns (and rainbows) with the white leading edge on the anal fin.

It is a brown trout, there is no red white and black on the pectoral fin. There are also no wormy marking on the back. The red white and black is ALWAYS on the pectoral fin.
The fish in my avatar is a brook trout.

I vote brown trout.

moon1284 wrote:
Brook trout should have light spots on a dark background

Chaz wrote:
there is no red white and black on the pectoral fin. There are also no wormy marking on the back. The red white and black is ALWAYS on the pectoral fin.

Maybe the fish is still too young yet and didn't form all these marking??

All the browns I have caught that size have had very prevalent black spots over the lighter background.

Still looks very brookie'ish to me, but I am starting to lean towards brown the more I look at it. Not quite yet though.

It's a brown. I'll dig up some dink brooks I caught and post the pictures. I don't have any dink brownies.

Here's the dinkest brown pic I could find

20140815_093708-1_zpswx6fisso.jpg

I'm about 50/50 now. That pectoral fin I think is the deciding factor...

A little blurry, but a good representation of the dink brookies I've seen. No doubt, they're always brookies when you see them.

Attachments

• brookierunt.jpg
    brookierunt.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 8
Does go to show how hard it really is w/ the fry!

Sasquatch, the only big differences I see between your fish and the one in the OP is yours has a "sharper" looking pectoral with the black edge, and light spots are present. On the OP I just kinda assumed the lack of spots was due to the age. And the fish in the OP is a lighter fish.

Definitely a tough one!! But I confess.......likely a brown....

Couple more dinks for comparison....

Brook

IMG_2941_zps6c1d3325.jpg

Brown

IMG_2930_zps25kosquu.jpg

Back