haven't posted in a while....

D

dubthethorax

Been tying alot of outside the box stuff the past month or so since my regular boxes are still pretty full from all the early winter tying.

6.5 incher for Pike and Picks...
fish.jpg

Working on some more realistic but durable dragons as well...

blogger-image--1430559802.jpg

Nice tying Dub, real nice. Good to have you and your patterns back in view. Do you have a trailer hook on that baitfish? It's wild to look at the monster baitfish then go down and see the delicate dragonfly kinda takes you by surprise in a way.

Thanks. Yes, it's articulated. Two big Partridge Saltwater hooks, with Beadalon and 3 glass beads between them. It clacks like a boss.

Both look awesome. Do you just glue those eyes on at the end?

Yep, Zap-A-Gap or thicker super glue. You can also use a cauterizing gun and burn a little bit of an eye socket in before placing them like Enrico does but I'm too lazy. They'll usually last for half a dozen fish or so if you use enough glue. Just gotta make sure it penetrates through the lazer dub enough to really hold.

I figured for as long as it is. I'm looking to have a go at articulated streamers and have been gathering things for it, I've got some good info so far, another thing I thought of is as far as the rear hook goes do you usually tie on one a little smaller, the same as, or bigger than the front hook? Or does something like that depend on the species your tying it for, and can the wrong size hook ruin the action of it? I was thinking that the beads would clack together like that good attention grabber I bet.

Usually go smaller or the same size for the rear. Depends on the size of the streamer. If you want the rear section smaller with a tighter wiggle, go with a circle hook trailer, if you want a big fly like shown above, I'll go with a slightly longer shank. At the end of the day I think it's all personal preference.

I just watched a ton of youtube vids and always spend time watching Schmidt and Strolis tie at the shows to learn from them. Alot of trial and error have gotten me to the point where I can at least catch a few fish with these things now :)

Alright dub, appreciate it.

Back