Have a couple questions

eseabee1

eseabee1

Ok it been awhile since I was on here last . I started fly fishing when I was younger around 10 I think had an old South bend rod and reel no backing at all and just used tippet material for my leader no taper at all, it worked good enough for me to catch Sunfish which was great at the time. I lost that rod a long time ago forget what happened to it well after getting injured I got the bug again to start fly fishing . I went and got gear nice gear Hardy Rod and reel , took a class at Yellow Breeches outfitters love that rod and reel could cast it with no Problems at all . only got to use that rod a few times . It was stolen out of my truck along with all my other gear . Forgot to lock the back of my truck up . Now I did get a new rod but could not afford a Hardy some guys put me unto Shu fly rods got one and a nice reel well went out with it and did not like how it cast just wasn`t the same so I got pissed off and sold everything off and I mean everything . and decided to fish for bass and that's it , well not to many place to go for bass without a boat and I really want to fly fish just something about id relaxing even though I have yet to catch a trout , My question is what would be a good rod similar to the Hardy I had? My budget is only 300 for rod and reel and line ..and is there anyone close to Carlisle would be willing to take someone fishing ? I can go just about anytime as I am disabled ( I can walk Just not fast )

Seabee,
Your budget should allow for a variety of pretty darn good fly rod and reel combos. They may not feel like that Hardy rod did but that doesn't mean they won't fish very well, esp for someone at the stage of the sport that you're at. Take some time to scroll thru some of the threads here in the Beginner's forum as well as Gear Talk to see what folks are talking about with respect to rods. You might also check the Swap forum as there is often some good deals on rods and reels.
With respect to fishing around Carlisle, you might give Yellow Breeches Outfitters another look as they may offer some basic instruction although this time of year there is more focus on fly tying.

I don't have much in the way of equipment advice, but you could try to find a similar Hardy on ebay.

I am an idiot after writing this I went out to my shop ,and was looking around and going thru some of my fishing equipment ,that I am not using going to get rid of some when I came across a St Croix two pieces 7` 6" 4 weight ,and a rod that I had custom made for me 8` 5 weight , maybe I should look around in my shop more often .guess I will just look for a reel up at the Lancaster show thanks all that replied .

Sounds like some one has "Trout Fever" or cabin fever and doesn't even know it.

fishing fever , I love to fish and getting into fly fishing will open up a lot more for me

Put a post on here when it warms up a bit. I'm sure someone will meet up and fish with you.

Now is the time to check your backing line, fly line, reel, etc. Make sure the reel and rod balance properly. (weight should be in the butt end) If not your arm will get tired of casting quickly.

How old is the flyline?
Who did the backing? (many if not most fly equipment shops have a formula when they do the backing) This helps to ensure good balancing and helps to keep the coils down to a minimum when you cast your line.
If the Rod is of an older generation - it maybe a bit heavy no matter what. Investing in a good Rod and Reel combo maybe the ticket. I am an Orvis Flyer and love the Clearwater II series - but this is of personal choice. There are so many to choose from, it is best to go to a Flyshop and/or Cabelas and test as many as you can before you commit to a purchase.

Wish I could find a St. Croix rod unexpectedly in my garage. Good find.

St Croix is a nice rod. That's a real shame about losing that Hardy combo. I really get angry when I hear about people stealing. It's happened to me several times over the years.

One idea on a new reel, line and backing is to post a new thread in the Gear section of the forum with rod details and your budget. I mention that because you will see so many reels at the show and it's probably best to narrow your choices beforehand.

Good luck.

Thanks RCFetter been looking at some have questions about them

Keith,

After reading this, tore my house apart.....no extra rods either.

Kray,
I'm not sure that surprises me. You seem to have many rods on hand, probably well organized. But there is usually one that may have been missed SOMEWHERE. Check the rafters in the basement.

From April through October, they are strung up and leaning on the recliner....just in case I get a chance to go.

I got two St Croix dust collectors that I don't use. There probably 10+ years old and not of their higher quality graphite rods. I keep them around just incase someone is interesting in learning to flyfish.

P.M. sent Seabee

Back